Learn how to draw a great looking Horse Head with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Horse Head.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"When a rider looks into a horse's eyes, they find a part of their soul." - Unknown
Would you like to learn how to draw a horse head? Master this easy horse face outline with the aid of our equine drawing guide. Keep practicing, and you're sure to win best in show!
The horse face is a symbol of mystery and beauty. Many horse enthusiasts see something almost human when they look into the eyes of a horse. Portraits such as this one conjure images of dream horses such as Misty of the Chincoteague or the Black Stallion.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? The zebra and the Przewalski's horse are the only truly wild horse species left in existence - those who have never been tamed.
The "wild" horses of the American West, the islands of the Atlantic seacoast, and elsewhere are actually the feral descendants of domestic horses that escaped, were released, or were abandoned centuries ago.
Add this horse head to your next work of art.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Farmer, Cartoon Goat, and Lamb.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Horse Head
How to Draw a Great Looking Horse Head for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the horse head outline by drawing the horse's expressive eye. Outline the almond-shaped eye using curved lines. Within the shape, shade a circle to indicate the pupil. Notice the contours of the short lines above the eye.
Then, use curved lines to sketch the opposite side of the face, including the brow and eye socket.
Easy Horse Head Drawing - Step 2
2. Outline the opposite eye using a curved line, and shade a partial circle to indicate the pupil. Contour above the eye with a short line.
Then, use a long curved line to draw the horse's muzzle. Notice how the snout overlaps with the side of the face, giving the drawing a three-dimensional aspect.
Easy Horse Head Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a long, curved line to draw the horse's lower lip and bulging jaw. On the nose, outline two curved shapes to indicate the nostrils.
Easy Horse Head Drawing - Step 4
4. Detail the contours of the horse's face. Draw short curved lines around the nostrils and on the side of the face, below the eye. Then, draw the mane. Use short lines that meet at points.
Easy Horse Head Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the horse's alert, erect ear. Use two curved lines that meet at a gentle point. Contour inside the ear using two additional curved lines. Then, complete the tuft of mane that protrudes between the ears using short lines that meet at jagged points.
Easy Horse Head Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the remaining ear. Again, use two curved lines that meet at a gentle point and contour the interior with two more curved lines. Then, extend a long curved line from the opposite ear to trace the graceful curve of the horse's neck.
Easy Horse Head Drawing - Step 7
7. Add to your horse face outline by drawing the animal's neck and body. Draw two lines below the head and another intersecting the back of the neck to complete the outline of the neck. Then, draw the back and shoulders using curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Horse Head Picture - Step 8
8. Your horse face outline is still missing its flowing mane! Draw a wavy curved line along the back of the neck to represent the hair as it grows from the neck ridge. Then, extend long curved lines on the opposite side of the head. Allow them to meet at sharp points.
Complete the Outline of Your Horse Head Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your horse head outline by enclosing the rest of the long mane. Again, extend long curved lines and allow them to meet at sharp points. Add texture using additional curved lines.
Color Your Horse Head Drawing
Color your cartoon horse head. We've given ours brown fur and a dark mane. She also has a white marking called a blaze on her nose.
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Cute Drawing Ideas Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Horse Head Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).