Learn how to draw a great looking Barbie Doll with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Barbie Doll drawing.
"We can do anything, right Barbie?"
- 1984 brand slogan
Barbie is an American fashion doll that entered the world scene in 1959. The curvaceous blonde, based on a "risqué gag gift for men," quickly became a cultural icon. In fact, it was featured in the first television commercials directed at children.
In addition to dolls, Barbie has starred in books, movies, and countless items of merchandise. In 1997, Aqua released the song "Barbie Girl." She has appeared in parody and in Disney's Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts, as revealed in a 1960s novel series. Barbie has had more than 40 pets, including a lion, panda, zebra, and orca. She rides bikes, drives sports cars, jeeps, and jet skis, and pilots airplanes. Her careers have included astronaut, doctor, marine biologist, paleontologist, Olympic athlete, veterinarian, Nascar driver, and chef. Barbie's independence and careers are meant to inspire young girls.
Despite this, Barbie has often been criticized for promoting an unrealistic body image. Modern dolls have a wider waist than older dolls, and new body types including "curvy," "petite," and "tall" have been introduced. Efforts have also been made to include more diversity. The line now features "seven skin tones, twenty-two eye colors, and twenty-four hairstyles."
Would you like to draw a beautiful cartoon Barbie doll? This easy, step-by-step cartoon character drawing tutorial will show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, a sheet of paper, and crayons or markers to color your drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Barbie Doll
How to Draw a Great Looking Barbie Doll for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching Barbie's face. Use a curved line, noting the bulge of the cheeks and chin. Outline the hair using two curved lines that meet at a point above the face.
Easy Barbie Doll Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw Barbie's long hair. Use overlapping curved lines to sketch the hair, and texture it with additional curved lines.
Easy Barbie Doll Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw Barbie's eyes. Outline the eyes with thick lines that meet at points on each corner. Draw several successively smaller circles within each eye, shading between the two smallest to indicate the pupil. Draw thick curved lines to form the eyebrows.
Easy Barbie Doll Drawing - Step 4
4. Detail Barbie's face. Use curved lines to outline the ears, nose, and smiling lips.
Easy Barbie Doll Drawing - Step 5
5. Sketch Barbie's body. Extend two lines below the head to form the neck. Connect these with a "V" shaped line to form the V-neck of Barbie's dress. Outline the dress using curved lines, and use additional lines to outline the shoulders.
Easy Barbie Doll Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw Barbie's arms. Use pairs of curved lines to form the upper and lower arms. Draw the hands using curved and "U" shaped lines, erasing as necessary. Note that one arm is bent with the hand on the hip.
Easy Barbie Doll Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw Barbie's leg using a pair of long, curved lines. Connect them at the end, and enclose another curved line around the tip to form Barbie's iconic high heeled shoe.
Add More Details to Your Barbie Doll Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining leg, partially hidden behind the first. Use curved lines to draw the leg and to enclose the shape of the shoe.
Complete the Outline of Your Barbie Doll Drawing - Step 9
9. It's time to accessorize! Draw Barbie's purse, beginning with a square partially hidden behind her body. Draw straight lines parallel to two sides of the square, and connect them at the corner using "V" shaped lines. Shade a small circle near the top of the purse, and draw a curved line from it across the arm to form the purse's handle.
Color Your Barbie Doll Drawing
Color your cartoon of Barbie. You can decide what your Barbie doll looks like. Remember, her favorite color is Barbie pink!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Barbie Doll Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).