Learn how to draw a great looking Chihuahua with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Chihuahua.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
- The Taco Bell Dog, 1990s commercial
The chihuahua is a popular breed of small dog known for its sassy temperament.
In fact, it is the smallest recognized breed, typically weighing 1 to 6 pounds and being about 5 inches tall.
The breed has a long history dating back before the European colonization of the Americas.
It was likely derived from the Techichi, a small, non-vocal dog kept by the Toltec people from about the 800s.
It is named for the Mexican state of Chihuahua, where it was first noticed by canine enthusiasts.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Chihuahuas are a national symbol of Mexico. They have also come to epitomize the lavish lifestyle as "purse dogs."
Would you like to draw an adorable chihuahua?
This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper.
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Snarling Wolf or Chase from Paw Patrol Drawing tutorials.
See also, Learn to Draw a Cartoon Dog.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Chihuahua
How to Draw a Great Looking Chihuahua for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the eyes. Use curved lines to outline the shapes with pointed corners. Within each eye, draw a circle within a circle. Shade between them to indicate the pupil. Draw a curved line above the eye to form the eyelid.
Easy Chihuahua Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a long curved line from the corner of one eye to form the muzzle or snout. Double it back upon itself to sketch the smiling mouth. Draw a rounded shape above this to form the nose. Draw a curved line across the nose, and shade two small ovals to indicate the nostrils. Connect the nose and mouth with a short line. Outline the lower jaw using a curved line.
Easy Chihuahua Drawing - Step 3
3. Outline the head with a long curved line, noting the curve of the cheek. Use curved lines to sketch the eyebrows and contour the top of the nose.
Easy Chihuahua Drawing - Step 4
4. Outline the ears, forming rounded triangles. Use additional curved lines to detail the inside of the ears and sketch the side of the face.
Easy Chihuahua Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a long curved line to draw the back, and shorter lines to contour the neck.
Easy Chihuahua Drawing - Step 6
6. Use long curved lines to outline the chest and leg. Connect the leg at the end with overlapping curved lines, forming the toes.
Easy Chihuahua Drawing - Step 7
7. Use long curved lines to draw the remaining foreleg. Connect them with overlapping curved lines, forming the paw and toes. Contour the shoulder with short curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Chihuahua Picture - Step 8
8. Use overlapping curved lines to sketch the seated rear legs and paws.
Complete the Outline of Your Chihuahua Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the outline of the dog with a curved line to form the hip. Draw the tail using two curved lines that meet at a gentle point.
Color Your Chihuahua Drawing
Color your cartoon chihuahua. Chihuahuas come in a variety of colors and patterns.
They may be solid-colored or spotted, with very short or very long hair.
Many have mask like markings on their faces.
Colors range from white, cream, and tan, to black, brown, and even red.
For more easy dog drawing tutorials, see the collection of Easy Dog Drawing Ideas for Kids.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Drawing Puppies for Beginners: Fun and Educational Art Projects page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Chihuahua Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).