Learn how to draw a great looking Christmas Stocking with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Christmas Stocking.
These are hung near the fireplace, near the Christmas tree, or on the bedpost in hopes that they will be filled with "stocking stuffers" - small toys, candy, fruit, coins, or other gifts.
The tradition of the Christmas stocking is thought to originate with Saint Nicholas. It was said that St. Nick threw bags of gold into the house of a needy family, and they fell into stockings hung by the fireplace to dry.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Odin, the mythological predecessor of St. Nick, was thought to leave gold in boots and wooden shoes left by the chimney.
Both Odin and St. Nick were said to ride a horse through the air and across the rooftops during a nocturnal ride.
After traveling to North America with Dutch settlers, these elements were adopted into Santa Claus and his reindeer-driven sleigh.
Originally, children simply hung their actual socks as receptacles for treats. By the 1800s, special stockings were sold for this purpose.
In some European countries, stockings are hung on the night of December 6 for the observance of Saint Nicholas Day, while in other areas the stockings are hung on Christmas Eve.
Would you like to draw a Christmas stocking? Now you can, with the help of this simple, step-by-step stocking drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Christmas Stocking
How to Draw a Great Looking Christmas Stocking for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing two diagonal curved lines, parallel to one another. Draw curved lines upward from each end of the bottom line, nearly connecting with the top line. This forms the cuff of the stocking.
Easy Christmas Stocking Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a long curved line downward from one side of the cuff. Double it back upon itself, and connect it to the opposite side of the cuff. This forms the stocking itself.
Easy Christmas Stocking Drawing - Step 3
3. Begin to decorate the stocking. Use curved lines that meet at sharp points to outline the shape of a pine tree. For the trunk, draw two straight lines connected by a short straight line.
Easy Christmas Stocking Drawing - Step 4
4. Outline "X" shapes using curved lines. These could be stars, snowflakes, or stitches on the stocking.
Easy Christmas Stocking Drawing - Step 5
5. Decorate the cuff of the stocking by drawing many parallel, wavy lines.
Easy Christmas Stocking Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a package sticking out of the top of the stocking. Use three straight lines to outline a rectangular shape. Then, use two more straight lines to enclose a rectangular shape to one side of the first. Finally, enclose a rectangular shape at the top using two straight lines, giving the package a three-dimensional appearance.
Easy Christmas Stocking Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a small circle on the package, and use curved lines to enclose the bow on either side of it. Draw pairs of curved lines to form the ribbons, concluding in a "V" shaped line. Finally, use pairs of straight lines to draw the ribbons that surround the package. Erase guide lines as necessary.
Add More Details to Your Christmas Stocking Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a second package. Use slightly curved lines to outline its rectangular shape. Then, use a small circle, curved lines, and a "V" shaped line to draw the ribbons and bow.
Complete the Outline of Your Christmas Stocking Drawing - Step 9
9. Extend curved lines from behind the packages then double them back upon themselves to enclose a "J" shape. Band each shape with curved lines, forming candy canes.
Color Your Christmas Stocking Drawing
Color your stocking. Many stockings are in the "classic" Christmas colors of green and red, but they can come in any color you could imagine.
For more great Christmas & Winter drawing tutorials, see the 43 Easy to Draw Christmas & Winter Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Christmas Stocking Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).