Learn how to draw a great looking Lion Roaring with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Lion Roaring.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"I'm gonna be the main event
Like no king was before
I'm brushing up on looking down
I'm working on my roar!"
- Simba, "I Just Can't Wait to Be King," Disney's The Lion King
The lion has been called "the king of beasts." This African mammal is one of the largest of the big cats, second only to the tiger.
Lions are known for their powerful roar. This call can be heard for miles. Both male and female lions roar to locate one another or to announce the location of a kill - dinnertime for the lions.
Males especially "roar to advertise their territorial boundaries and, as an expression of aggression, to warn other male lions who may enter their territory."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In films such as The Lion King, the lion's roar serves major plot points. For example, when ambushed by hyenas, young Simba tries to roar and thinks he has succeeded - until his father bursts onto the scene.
Would you like to draw a fearsome cartoon lion? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Baby Lion, Lion Head, and Lion.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Lion Roaring
How to Draw a Great Looking Lion Roaring for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing three overlapping circles, one large and two small. The shape should resemble the head and ears of Mickey Mouse. The large circle will form the lion's chest; the upper circle, his head; and the remaining small circle, his hips.
Easy Lion Roaring Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, use curved lines to contour the back and belly between the large and small circle. Within the remaining small circle, use overlapping curved lines to form the loose "C" shape of the snout and open mouth. Draw a rounded, inverted triangle on the tip of the snout to form the nose. Draw a short line down from it.
Easy Lion Roaring Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the guide lines of the original circles. Then, detail the lion's face. Above the snout, use overlapping curved lines to enclose the teardrop-shaped eyes and the furrowed brow. Draw triangular teeth along the front of the upper and lower lips. Connect the upper and lower jaws with a curved line, and use two overlapping curved lines to draw the tongue.
Easy Lion Roaring Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the lion's mane surrounding its head, connecting the back and bottom of the chest in the process. Use a series of overlapping curved lines that meet at sharp points.
Easy Lion Roaring Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a series of overlapping curved lines across the remaining portion of the original circle to detail the contours of the mane around the face. Then, use curved lines to draw a tuft of mane. Above it, enclose the ear using two "C" shaped lines.
Easy Lion Roaring Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase the remaining guide lines. Then, draw the lion's legs using pairs of overlapping curved lines. At the bottom of each leg, double one line back upon itself in a nearly spiral shape to enclose the paw.
Easy Lion Roaring Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the lion's rear legs, again using pairs of overlapping curved lines. Note how one line doubles back upon itself to form the foot.
Add More Details to Your Lion Roaring Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the toes using overlapping "C" shaped lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Lion Roaring Drawing - Step 9
9. Extend a pair of long curved lines from the hips to form the tail. At the tip, draw a teardrop-shaped tuft of hair. Texture it with curved lines.
Color Your Lion Roaring Drawing
Color your roaring cartoon lion. Lions are usually sandy brown or tan in color, but they can be solid white, reddish, or with patches of black.
Does your lion have a name? If he is called Mufasa, learn how to draw his son, Simba.
For more great Cat drawing tutorials, see the 25 Easy Cat Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Lion Roaring Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).