Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
“The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”
― M. K. Clinton, author
According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, "The dog is one of the two most ubiquitous and most popular domestic animals in the world (the cat is the other). For more than 12,000 years it has lived with humans as a hunting companion, protector, object of scorn or adoration, and friend."
The 400-plus dog breeds known today all descended from the grey wolf. The animals were selectively bred to accentuate traits that filled human needs. Today, dogs still work in shepherding livestock, in law enforcement as police dogs, as guides for the blind, guardians, and loving companions.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to learn to draw a dog? This step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial makes it easy. You'll use simple lines and geometric shapes to sketch a portrait of man's best friend.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cute Dog
1. Begin by drawing a curved line. This will become the top of the puppy’s head.
2. Draw curved lines from the ends of the first line. Allow them to meet, forming a diamond shape with rounded corners. This completes the outline of the head.
3. Use a curved line to outline a round shape at the bottom of the face, forming the snout or muzzle.
4. Draw a “U” shaped line on each side of the head, outlining the dog’s ears.
5. Draw a straight, horizontal line below the dog’s head. This forms the bottom of the character.
6. Draw a pair of curved lines between the dog’s head and the horizontal line, outlining the body.
7. Draw two more curved lines, this time within the body. These outline the dog’s legs.
8. Draw the puppy’s paws. For each paw, use a straight line and a curved line to enclose a half-circle shape.
9. Draw curved lines from the sides of the body to the tips of the straight line, outlining the rear legs.
10. Extend a curved line from the body, beginning the outline of the tail.
11. Draw another curved line, allowing it to meet the previous at a sharp point. This completes the wagging tail.
12. Use curved lines to outline half-circle paws at the ends of the rear legs.
13. Erase any remaining guide lines, leaving a clean outline of the dog.
14. Draw curved lines across the rear paws to indicate the toes.
15. Draw curved lines across the front paws to indicate the toes.
16. You’re now ready to detail the dog’s face.
17. Draw two small ovals above the muzzle and shade them, forming the eyes.
18. Draw thick curved lines above the eyes to form the eyebrows.
19. Draw and shade a small half-circle within the muzzle to form the nose. Draw a “U” shaped line beneath it, and connect it to the nose with a straight line. Draw short lines at the corner of the mouth.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).