Learn how to draw a great looking Wolf Howling with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Wolf Howling.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"A dog cannot make this journey alone, but maybe a wolf can."
- Boris, Balto
The wolf is the largest of the wild dogs.
The gray wolf or timber wolf can be found throughout Europe and Americas, and the Ethiopian or Abyssinian wolf lives in Africa.
Wolf howls can be heard for miles and may sound eerie to the human ear.
But for the wolves, "this is simply a social activity of the pack — a form of communication." Wolves howl to locate one another, to announce territorial boundaries, or simply because they're happy.
In addition to howling, wolves also bark, squeak, growl, whimper, and yip.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Wolves are commonly depicted in fiction, and they are often howling.
One example appears in the animated film Balto, in which the half-wolf title character howls alongside one of his wild relatives.
Other wolf films include Alpha and Omega and The Jungle Book.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of a wolf howling at the moon?
This easy, step-by-step animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
You may also wish to color your finished wolf.
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a French Bulldog or Dachshund Drawing tutorials.
See also, Creative Art Project: Drawing a Cartoon Dog.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Wolf Howling
How to Draw a Great Looking Wolf Howling for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing three circles. The small one will form the wolf's head, the large one its chest, and the medium-sized one its hips or haunches.
Easy Wolf Howling Drawing - Step 2
2. Sketch the wolf's head and neck using a series of curved lines. On top of the small circle, sketch the forehead and open mouth. Enclose the triangular nose and teeth. Use a series of curved lines of various lengths that meet at jagged points to form the furry underside of the neck. Use curved lines to form the triangular shape of the ear, detailed with additional curved lines. Connect the ear to the large circle using a curved line.
Easy Wolf Howling Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase guide lines from the head. Connect the larger circles with curved lines, forming the back and belly of the wolf. Then, extend a long curved line to begin the tail.
Easy Wolf Howling Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a smaller circle within the large circle. Then, draw three small circles below the body, with a curved line beneath each. These guide lines will help you to sketch the legs realistically.
Easy Wolf Howling Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw pairs of curved lines between the circles indicating the shoulder and hips, the circles that form the knees, and the curved lines of the feet.
Easy Wolf Howling Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase the guide line circles, leaving a clean outline of the wolf. Use overlapping curved lines that meet at jagged points to complete the furry underside of the tail. Use additional curved lines to enclose the remaining foreleg and each of the paws.
Easy Wolf Howling Drawing - Step 7
7. Detail the toes with curved lines. Draw a curved triangular claw at the tip of each.
Add More Details to Your Wolf Howling Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a large circle around the wolf's head to indicate the moon. Draw "C" shaped lines of various sizes to indicate the moon's craters. Then, use curved lines to draw the rocky cliff on which the wolf is standing.
Complete the Outline of Your Wolf Howling Drawing - Step 9
9. Erase the outline of the moon where it overlaps the wolf. Then, detail the wolf's fur with curved lines that meet at jagged points at the base of the head, the chest, the shoulder, the ankles, and the tail.
Color Your Wolf Howling Drawing
Color your cartoon howling wolf. Wolves are often grey with black, brown, reddish, or white markings. Some are solid white or solid black.
Wolves live in family groups called packs. You can give your howling wolf some companions, with the how to draw a realistic wolf and a baby wolf howling drawing guides.
For more easy and cute animal drawing tutorials, see the collection of Step-by-Step Guides to Drawing Furry Animals for Beginners.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Step-by-Step Tutorials for Drawing Pooches: Creative Ideas for Beginners page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Wolf Howling Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).