Learn how to draw a great looking Yin Yang Symbol with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Yin Yang Symbol.
The yin yang is a symbol, as well as a school of thought, in eastern philosophy. It is defined as "the two complementary forces that make up all aspects and phenomena of life."
The yin is a symbol of the earth, darkness, and the female gender. The yang represents heaven, light, and the male gender.
It is thought that as one increases in the universe, the other decreases, keeping things in harmony. The yin and yang are depicted as the black and white halves of a circle. "Yin Yang" can be translated as "dark-bright" or "negative-positive."
The philosophy arose in ancient China, but it is still evident in popular culture today. The yin yang symbol often appears on clothing, accessories, in movies, and more.
So do the concepts it represents. For example, the "light side" and "dark side" of the Force in the Star Wars franchise are based on the principles of yin and yang.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a yin yang symbol? This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. This tutorial uses simple shapes, including circles, straight lines, and curved lines.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing the Yin Yang Symbol
How to Draw a Great Looking Yin Yang Symbol for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This outlines the symbol.
Easy Yin Yang Symbol Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a backward, "S" shaped line down the center of the circle. This divides the symbol into two halves, the "yin" and the "yang."
Easy Yin Yang Symbol Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a straight line down the middle of the circle, just off center. This will serve as a guide line to help you evenly draw the smaller circles.
Easy Yin Yang Symbol Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a second straight line, parallel to the first, just off center.
Easy Yin Yang Symbol Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a small circle between the two lines, in the middle of the curved portion of one side of the yin yang.
Easy Yin Yang Symbol Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw another small circle between the parallel lines, on the opposite side of the yin yang. Notice how the guide lines help you to make the small circles evenly spaced and of equal size.
Easy Yin Yang Symbol Drawing - Step 7
7. Erase the guide lines from the yin yang.
Add More Details to Your Yin Yang Symbol Picture - Step 8
8. Shade the upper small circle.
Complete the Outline of Your Yin Yang Symbol Drawing - Step 9
9. Shade the lower portion of the yin yang.
Color Your Yin Yang Symbol Drawing
The yin yang is typically depicted in black and white.
What else shows the stark contrast between these colors? A panda! Learn to draw one with this handy animal drawing guide.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Yin Yang Symbol Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).