Learn how to draw a great looking Duck with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Duck.
Duck! No, we're not asking you to run for cover. We're letting you know that you can draw a cute little quacker with the help of this easy, step-by-step duck drawing tutorial.
Ducks are familiar around the world, from farmyards to city parks. Ducks are water birds with big beaks and webbed feet.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Ducks resemble geese, a larger waterbird with a longer neck. See if you can spot the similarities and differences in this goose drawing.
The swan is even larger than ducks or geese. You can draw a whole flock of waterfowl when you check out this swan drawing guide.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Duck
How to Draw a Great Looking Duck for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon duck outline by drawing the eye. First, draw a sideways “U” shape to contour the duck’s cheek.
Enclose a partial oval on top of it. Inside the oval, draw two more successively smaller ovals and shade between them to form the pupil of the eye.
Easy Duck Drawing - Step 2
2. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the top of the head and the two halves of the beak.
Easy Duck Drawing - Step 3
3. Use “U” shaped lines for the nostril on the beak and for a feather on the back of the head. Then draw the back and bottom of the head using curved lines.
Easy Duck Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend a long curved line from the bottom of the face to form the neck, chest, and belly. At the end of the line, use several “U” shaped lines to lend the texture of feathers.
Then, draw a long curved line intersecting the back of the neck. This will become the top of the wing.
Easy Duck Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of connected curved lines to draw the feathers that make up the bottom of the wing.
Easy Duck Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a long curved line to draw the duck’s back, with an inverted “V” shaped line at the end of it. That begins the duck’s tail. Use curved lines to give the wing the texture of feathers.
Easy Duck Drawing - Step 7
7. Use a curved line to finish enclosing the duck’s body. Notice the “V” shaped feather of the tail and the lumpiness of the top of the leg.
Add More Details to Your Duck Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the leg and foot extended from the feathered top of the leg. Use two lines for the leg, and allow them to bend to become the side and top of the webbed foot.
Then use curved lines in a scalloped pattern to finish enclosing the foot.
Complete the Outline of Your Duck Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the remaining leg and foot, again using a series of curved lines.
Color Your Duck Drawing
Your cartoon duck outline is now complete. Color your picture. Classically, ducks have white feathers and yellow or orange beaks and feet.
But ducks come in many colors - their feathers may have combinations of black, white, brown, and even green or blue.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Duck Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).