Learn how to draw a great looking Goose with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Goose.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"Three gray geese
In a green field grazing,
Gray were the geese
And green was the grazing."
- "Three Gray Geese," Irish Nursery Rhyme
The goose is a water bird, larger in size than the duck. People domesticated the goose thousands of years ago. It has been kept as a food source and for its warm feathers, which are used in pillows, quilts, and coats.
Because of this long association, references to geese are common in the English language. The imaginary "Mother Goose" was said to write nursery rhymes. "Your goose is cooked" means that misfortune is soon to befall you. "A wild goose chase" is a futile effort. When someone is acting silly, they are called a "silly goose," and to "kill the goose that laid the golden eggs" means to make a situation worse through greed.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? The plural of goose is geese. The males are called ganders and the females are called hens. Baby geese are called goslings. A group of geese is called a gaggle. In the wild, geese mate for life, but this is not true of domestic geese.
Geese have featured in art throughout their wide range. Geese such as the one in our drawing guide became popular in decorations during the mid-20th century. Many North American homes used "Marmalade" or "Country Goose" dinnerware and kitchen utensils, which featured white geese. Since the 1980s, "porch geese" - painted concrete goose statues, usually white with yellow beaks - have been dressed for the changing seasons.
Would you like to draw a cartoon goose? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Baby Duck, Duck, and Baby Bird.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Goose
How to Draw a Great Looking Goose for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the head and neck. Draw a long curved line and double it back upon itself.
Easy Goose Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the beak, erasing as necessary. Use curved lines to outline the triangular shapes of the upper and lower bills. Draw a small “C” shaped line on the upper bill to indicate the nostril.
Easy Goose Drawing - Step 3
3. Use two “C” shaped lines to draw a crescent moon shape, forming the goose’s eye.
Easy Goose Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw curved lines beside the beak, contouring the base of the head.
Easy Goose Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of long curved lines to outline the round body. Notice the jagged overlap of lines on the chest, indicating feathers, and the slight indentation of the stomach.
Easy Goose Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the wing, erasing as necessary. Use a long curved line to outline the front of the wing, and connected “U” shaped lines for the flight feathers at the back. Draw series of “U” shapes lines across the wings to give the impression of layers of feathers.
Easy Goose Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the tail, erasing as necessary. Use a series of overlapping curved lines. Notice that the central tail feather is the longest.
Add More Details to Your Goose Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the foot, erasing as necessary. Indicate the upper leg using a curved line. Then, extend a pair of parallel straight lines to form the leg. Use straight and curved lines to draw the “W” shaped webbed foot. Indicate the toes with straight lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Goose Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the remaining foot, using straight and curved lines. Indicate the toes using straight lines.
Color Your Goose Drawing
Color your cartoon goose. Geese are often depicted as white with orange beaks and feet, but they can come in many colors. For example, the Canada goose has a black head and beak, a white ring around its neck, and a brown body.
Then, discover the whole barnyard.
For more great Bird drawing tutorials, see the 41 Cute Bird Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Goose Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).