Learn how to draw a great looking Island with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Island.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
By definition, an island is "a tract of land surrounded by water and smaller than a continent." Did you know? In 1881, a British army general declared that he had found the Garden of Eden of biblical lore.
He had actually landed on Vallée de Mai, and island of the Seychelles now declared a World Heritage Site. Christopher Columbus thought something similar when he landed on the island of Hispaniola (today, the Dominican Republic and Haiti).
One island off the coast of Brazil, called Snake Island, is inhabited by a huge population of golden lancehead vipers, one of the deadliest snakes in the world.
No people are allowed to visit the island, except scientists and military personnel.
In popular culture, the term island has come to describe other things that stand alone. For example, tended gardens or grassy areas within a parking lot are known as "islands."
In 1965, the rock group Simon and Garfunkel released the song "I Am a Rock," in which a hermit-like person is described as an island. The lyrics say, in part, "I am a rock, I am an island. And a rock feels no pain. And an island never cries."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Today, islands are often used to represent vacations, travel, the tropics, and affluence. Would you like to draw your very own island?
Doing so is easy with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial. All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and a good eraser.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Volcano, Grass, and Waterfall.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing an Island
How to Draw a Great Looking Island for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. To begin drawing your island landscape, you will first draw the sea that surrounds it. Draw a wavy horizon line - the line that marks where the water meets the sky. In the foreground, draw wavy lines of various lengths, some very short and others nearly as long as the horizon.
Easy Island Drawing - Step 2
2. Outline your island. Do so using a long, curved line to enclose an irregular, flattened shape. Notice that the shape extends above the horizon line.
Easy Island Drawing - Step 3
3. Enclose a few rocks in the water around your island. Do so by enclosing small, irregular shapes using curved lines.
Easy Island Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the guide lines of the island from behind the rocks.
Easy Island Drawing - Step 5
5. Add texture to your island. Indicate sand on the beach using overlapping curved lines. Draw a patch of grass near the beach using a jagged, zigzag line. At the top of the island, draw some individual blades of grass. Do so by using a pair of curved lines for each, allowing the lines to meet in a point at the top.
Easy Island Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the trunks of the palm trees. For each, extend two curved lines upwards from the island. The lines should be closer together at the top than at the bottom.
Easy Island Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the crown, or leafy portion, of one of the palm trees. At the top of the trunk, extend pairs of lines outward, allowing each to meet in a point. The pairs of lines should overlap, forming a star shape.
Add More Details to Your Island Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the crown of the second palm tree. For each frond, or leaf, extend two curved lines, allowing them to meet in a point. Continue drawing connected fronds until the crown is completely enclosed, forming a star shape.
Complete the Outline of Your Island Drawing - Step 9
9. Add additional detail to your landscape. Use long, curved lines to enclose irregular shapes in the sky, forming clouds. Draw more wavy lines in the water, indicating the ocean surf. Using curved lines, enclose round shapes beneath the trees' crowns, indicating coconuts.
Color Your Island Drawing
10. Themed drawing tutorials, including How to Draw a Palm Tree.
For more great Landscape drawing tutorials, see the 31 Landscape Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Island Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).