Learn how to draw a great looking Sky with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Sky.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
The sky has long been an object of fascination for humans. Since the dawn of time, he has looked to the stars, the clouds, the sun, and the rain, and drawn conclusions.
In the sun, he saw a god who caused crops to grow as he made his daily march across the sky. In the stars and the clouds, he saw images of people, animals, and events of the past.
Scientifically, the sky, also called the celestial dome or sphere, is “everything that lies above the surface of the Earth, including the atmosphere and outer space.”
Culturally, the sky was often considered the realm of the gods. In the religion of ancient Egypt, the sky itself was regarded as consisting of the goddess Nut and the god Horus.
Sky gods were often considered to be creators of the earth and humanity and the bringers of weather – whether good or bad.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
It has only been in very recent history that man has ventured forth in this unknown realm. It was in 1903 that the first airplane took flight in Kittyhawk, North Carolina, U.S.A. By the 1960s, manned space flights were possible.
A classic question asked by young children is, “Why is the sky blue?” Parents may dread this seemingly unanswerable question, but there is, in fact, an answer.
While the sky actually has no color, it appears blue because the earth’s atmosphere scatters the blue wavelengths of sunlight more readily than it does red light. Therefore, more blue light reaches our eyes than any other color in the spectrum.
Would you like to be able to add a detailed sky to your drawings? Doing so is easier than ever with the help of this simple, step-by-step sky drawing tutorial. All you will need is a pencil and a piece of paper.
You may also wish to use crayons, colored pencils, markers, or paints to color your finished drawing. The sky can come in a variety of colors – blue on a sunny day, orange or purple at sunset, and black at night.
In each step of this drawing guide, you will see an illustration as well as explanatory text. Pay special attention to the highlighted blue lines in each drawing.
These indicate new lines to be added to your drawing.
Remember, when you are drawing, the sky’s the limit!
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Sun, Airplane, and Clouds.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing the Sky
How to Draw a Great Looking Sky for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by outlining a cloud. Use several short, curved, connected lines to draw the top of your first cloud.
Easy Sky Drawing - Step 2
2. Completely enclose the cloud by adding additional short, curved, connected lines.
Easy Sky Drawing - Step 3
3. Begin drawing a second cloud, again using short, curved, connected lines.
Easy Sky Drawing - Step 4
4. Fully enclose the second cloud using short, curved lines.
Easy Sky Drawing - Step 5
5. Begin drawing a third cloud, using short, curved lines that connect to give it a fluffy appearance.
Easy Sky Drawing - Step 6
6. Enclose the shape of the third cloud using short, curved lines.
Easy Sky Drawing - Step 7
7. Indicate additional clouds in the distance, using curved, loosely “M” shaped lines. These clouds will not be enclosed.
Add More Details to Your Sky Picture - Step 8
8. Draw more distant clouds, again using curving, “M” shaped lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Sky Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a flock of birds in the sky. For each bird, sketch a simple outline. Begin with a loose, curving “M” shaped line. This indicates the bird’s open wings. Draw a short line at the downward point of the curved “M” to indicate the body, head, and tail.
Color Your Sky Drawing
10. Color your sky. Will it be a cheerful blue sky full of fluffy white clouds? A stormy sky with dark, foreboding storm clouds? A sunset sky washed in rosy hues? Or a night sky of bedarkened clouds and twinkling stars? Be creative, as the choice is yours.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Easy and Fun Things to draw Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Sky Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).