Learn how to draw a great looking Body Outline with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Body Outline drawing.
The human form is an early assignment in most drawing classes. According to BBC, "the human figure offers all the complexities an artist needs to learn in order to be able to conquer any drawing subject."
Reporter Will Gompertz continues, "Every time a model makes a move, there's something to learn and work on. Shadows and skin texture, the way the limbs move, extend.
Every pose or position, reveals a whole new composition, and another focus for a drawing.
A great range of movement is possible, right in front of you, which combined with the anatomical and structural complexity of the body, make particular demands on us when we draw."
The above refers to sketching from a live model. But you, too, can begin your drawing journey with a sketch of the human form, even if a model is not available.
This body outline drawing guide is designed to help you do just that. It will help you learn about human proportions of the head, torso, and limbs. Later, you can fill in additional details and bring your drawing to life.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw an outline of the human body? This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Body Outline
Body Outline Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an oval. This will form the person's head.
Body Outline Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, extend two curved lines beneath the head to form the neck. Allow the lines to diverge from one another, forming the shoulders.
Body Outline Drawing - Step 3
3. Use pairs of curved lines to draw the arm and hand - the upper arm, the lower arm, and the palm and back of the hand. Notice that the lines converge upon one another at the elbow and wrist. Then, complete the hand by drawing the fingers. You can use overlapping, narrow, "U" shaped lines.
Body Outline Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the remaining arm. Use pairs of curved lines to form the upper arm, lower arm, and the back and base of the hand. Then, use narrow "U" shaped lines to enclose the fingers.
Body Outline Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the torso and upper legs using two curved lines. Note that the lines converge slightly at the mid-torso and waist, diverging at the hips and stomach.
Body Outline Drawing - Step 6
6. Outline the leg using curved lines. Note the convergence at the knee and the divergence of the calf muscle.
Body Outline Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining leg using curved lines.
Body Outline Drawing - Step 8
8. Draw the feet. Use curved lines to sketch the feet, noting the bulge of the ankles. Connect each pair of curved lines using small "U" shaped lines to indicate the toes.
Body Outline Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the ears using "C" shaped lines. Erase the guide lines of the original circle from the base of the ears and the neck.
Complete Body Outline Drawing
Your body outline is complete. Now, you can customize it to create your own cartoon character or realistic sketch. Male or female, human or alien, the choice is yours. Check out our people drawing guides for tips on adding eyes, hands, hair, a nose, a mouth, and more.
For more great People drawing tutorials, see the 51 Best People Drawing Tutorials post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).