Learn how to draw a great looking Face with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Face.
Faces are integral to many forms of art. Almost every depiction of a person includes his or her face.
This spans throughout history, with human faces on amulets and in hieroglyphics being among the earliest artwork discovered.
Faces are universally the most visible part of a person, and the meanings behind facial expressions seem to be universal as well - people from around the world demonstrate emotions such as happiness, sadness, fear, and anger in much the same way.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Faces, however, with their intricate detail, are often considered one of the most difficult things to draw.
Would you like to master the craft of drawing the human face? This basic face drawing tutorial makes it so easy!
Doing so is easier than ever with the aid of this simple, step-by-step drawing guide.
All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and a good eraser.
Note that in each step, new lines are shown in blue while previously drawn lines fade to black.
Some steps involve the removal of lines added in earlier steps.
You may also wish to use crayons, markers, colored pencils, or paints to complete your drawing.
After finishing this simple face drawing, would you like to draw an easy mouth and tongue?
Easy, Step by Step Face Drawing Instructions for Beginners
How to Draw a Great Looking Face for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle to outline the basic shape of the face.
Easy Face Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved line beneath the circle, from one side to the other. Note how the curve deepens at its bottom-most point, forming a blunt point. This outlines the person's chin.
Easy Face Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the guide lines from the face.
Easy Face Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw guide lines across the face, as these will help you to place the face's other features. To do this, draw a straight, vertical line down the middle of the face. Then, draw two straight, horizontal lines intersecting the vertical line. These will aid in the placement of the eyes. Draw a short, straight, horizontal guide line between the primary horizontal guide lines and the chin. This line will help you to place the nose. Finally, draw a curved line beneath the nose guide line to begin formation of the mouth.
Easy Face Drawing - Step 5
5. Above the uppermost horizontal guide line, draw eyebrows using curved lines that connect in a rounded point on one side and a sharp point on the other. Draw a curved line above the guide line for the nose, and enclose the lip above the curved guideline for the mouth, using a curved line. Below the mouth, draw two curved lines connected in an "X" shape to indicate the dimple of the chin.
Easy Face Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the eyes within the space enclosed by the horizontal guide lines. For each eye, use two curved lines to enclose a rounded shape with the lines meeting in points on each side.
Easy Face Drawing - Step 7
7. Detail the eyes with pupils. Within each eye, draw a circle, and a smaller circle within it. Shade between the circles. Next, draw the ears. For each ear, Enclose a rounded shape on the side of the head using a curved line. Detail the ear by enclosing a smaller rounded shape within the first.
Add More Details to Your Face Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the hair. Enclose a larger rounded shape above the top of the head, using a long, curved line. Draw a curved line from the ear to the vertical guide line. Repeat on the opposite side, forming a mirror image. Draw a series of curved lines extending below each ear, allowing some of the lines to meet in jagged points. Enclose the hair by rejoining the lines to the side of the chin.
The outline of your head drawing is now ready. Only a few more details are needed.
Complete the Outline of Your Face Drawing - Step 9
9. Erase the guide lines from the face. Note that a portion of the vertical guide line remains to form the bridge of the nose. Add detail to the hair by drawing curved lines of various lengths.
Your face shape and facial features drawing is now ready.
Color Your Face Drawing
10. Color your eyes. In humans, typical eye colors include light and dark brown, blue, green, grey, and at times even violet.
How did you like this beginner face drawing tutorials? Drawing a simple face with its help was easy, wasn't it?
For more great Body drawing tutorials, see the 37 Easy Body Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Face Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).