Learn how to draw a great looking Chef Hat with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Chef Hat drawing.
A chef is a trained professional cook, often the director of the kitchen.
Chefs are often recognized by their chef's whites, or traditional uniform. The white signifies the cleanness of the kitchen, as any stains would be readily visible.
The apron and double breasted jacket, which is reversible, help keep the chef's white clothing clean.
The chef's hat, or toque blanche, may be the most recognizable part of his uniform.
The toque is a hat with no brim, dating from the sixteenth century.
The hat serves a practical purpose - preventing any hair from falling into the food - but the height of the hat also indicates the chef's rank.
The many folds of the chef's hat - often one hundred in number - are said to represent the many ways a good chef knows how to prepare an egg.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In popular culture, chef hats are used to represent fine dining and fancy foods. They are especially indicative of French cuisine.
Even children often recognize the meaning of the chef's hat in cartoons, for example, Chef Louis in Disney's The Little Mermaid (1989) and the many chefs in Ratatouille (2007).
Modern art and home decor often center on French or Italian chefs.
Would you like to draw a fancy chef's hat?
This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to help.
All you will need is a pencil, pen, or marker, and a sheet of paper.
You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Chef Hat
Chef Hat Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a narrow oval. This will form the opening of the hat.
Chef Hat Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved line upward from each end of the oval. These lines form the sides of the hat.
Chef Hat Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a line across the bottom of the hat, parallel to the top of the original oval. This gives the hat a band.
Chef Hat Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a roughly "S" shaped curved line at the top of one of the hat's sides. Connect another curved line and "S" shaped line to the first. This forms the base of the hat's puffy top.
Chef Hat Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw branching curved lines between the lines of the previous step and the side of the hat. These lines also form the base of the hat's top, but they do not connect to previously drawn lines.
Chef Hat Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a curved line from the hat's side, encircling the "S" shaped lines.
Chef Hat Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw another curved line extending from the opposite side of the hat, looping around to form the top of the hat.
Chef Hat Drawing - Step 8
8. Draw a curved, loosely "S" shaped line to enclose the top of the hat, allowing the line to overlap with previously drawn lines.
Chef Hat Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the hat. Draw a curved line inside the original oval, forming the band at the bottom of the hat. Use a series of curved lines to make each of four loops indicating the folds of fabric on the base of the hat. Allow the lines to double back upon themselves.
Complete Chef Hat Drawing
10. Color your chef's hat. Such hats are usually white to match the long chef's coat and apron, but they may come in a variety of colors.
Ready to get cooking? Check out our cake, hamburger, and burrito drawing guides.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).