Learn how to draw a great looking Cowboy Hat with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Cowboy Hat.
Cowboys are intimately associated with both the lore and the real history of the American West.
Who were the cowboys?
Encyclopaedia Britannica defines a cowboy as "a horseman skilled at handling cattle, an indispensable labourer in the cattle industry of the trans-Mississippi west, and a romantic figure in American folklore."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The world over, the cowboy hat is recognized as a symbol of the American West.
American cowboys were not the first to wear them, however.
Similar hats can be seen in depictions of Mongolian horsemen in Asia as far back as the thirteenth century - a design that kept a rider warm and the sun out of his eyes.
Modern cowboy hats arose in northern Mexico, worn by the vaqueros, Spanish for "cowboy," in the early 1800s.
The design of the hat has changed little over the years.
Original cowboy hats were made out of fur felt or leather, designed to be worn in all sorts of weather, including rain.
Yeehaw! Saddle up and hit the trails with this easy, step-by-step cowboy hat drawing tutorial.
You'll feel at home on the range as you gather your pencils, erasers, and paper to get started.
You may also wish to use crayons, colored pencils, or markers to shade your finished cowboy hat.
Step by Step Instructions for a Cowboy Hat
How to Draw a Great Looking Cowboy Hat for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing two curved lines, set at a slight diagonal. This outlines the sides of the hat.
Easy Cowboy Hat Drawing - Step 2
2. Connect the lines at the top using a curved line.
Easy Cowboy Hat Drawing - Step 3
3. Connect the lines at the bottom using a curved line, enclosing the top of the hat. This is called the crown.
Easy Cowboy Hat Drawing - Step 4
4. Using a long, curved line, begin to outline the hat's brim. Loosely follow the shape of the crown of the hat.
Easy Cowboy Hat Drawing - Step 5
5. Connect the far side of the hat to the hat's crown using a curved line. For the near side, you will enclose a curved shape indicating the underside of the upturned brim. Loop a long line around, crossing the bottom of the crown of the hat.
Easy Cowboy Hat Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase guide lines from the hat.
Easy Cowboy Hat Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a band around the hat. Just above where the top of the hat connects to the brim, draw a curved line. Allow it to follow the curvature of the hat.
Add More Details to Your Cowboy Hat Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a decorative buckle or medallion on the band of the hat. Draw a circle within a circle, erasing as necessary.
Complete the Outline of Your Cowboy Hat Drawing - Step 9
9. Add texture and detail to your hat. Draw an irregular curved shape on the top of the crown, noting how it dips forward. Draw curved lines on the hat and its brim for shape and texture.
Color Your Cowboy Hat Drawing
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cowboy Hat Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).