Learn how to draw a great looking Top Hat with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Top Hat.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"There must have been some magic in that old silk hat they found,
For when they placed it on his head he began to dance around."
- Frosty the Snowman, classic Christmas song
What is a top hat? Originally made of beaver fur, these hats have a broad brim and a tall, flat-topped crown.
Top hats are also called high hats, silk hats, cylinder hats, chimney pot hats, stovepipe hats, or toppers.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Top hats were popular headwear for men from the late 1700s through the 1950s. Today, they are still worn for certain formal occasions and as a costume item.
Top hats have also played a role in popular culture. Abraham Lincoln, former president of the United States, was famous for wearing a tall top hat.
In the story of Frosty the Snowman, it is a silk top hat that brings the character to life.
Would you like to draw your very own fancy top hat? Now you can, with the help of this easy, step-by-step drawing guide.
All you will need is a pencil, pen, or marker and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
For more easy hat drawing tutorials, see How to Draw a Cowboy Hat or How to Draw a Chef Hat.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Top Hat
How to Draw a Great Looking Top Hat for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing two slightly curved lines. Notice that one line is longer than the other, and that they are on a slightly diagonal slant toward each other. These lines form the sides of the crown of the hat.
Easy Top Hat Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a large horizontal oval to connect the lines at the top. This forms the top of the hat's crown.
Easy Top Hat Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a long curved line to connect the lines at the bottom. Notice the bulge on one side. This forms the bottom of the hat's crown.
Easy Top Hat Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a long curved line parallel to the bottom of the hat's crown. This forms the hatband. Then, use three short lines to enclose a curved rectangular shape at the back of the hatband.
Easy Top Hat Drawing - Step 5
5. Begin to draw the brim of the hat using a curved line. Extend the line from the back of the hat's crown, just above the hatband.
Easy Top Hat Drawing - Step 6
6. Continue to extend the curved line, following the curve of the hat's crown. The brim of the hat is now three fourths complete.
Easy Top Hat Drawing - Step 7
7. Complete the brim of the hat, using a curved line to connect the existing line to the front of the hat's crown.
Add More Details to Your Top Hat Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a long curved line just inside the brim of the hat, parallel to the existing line.
Complete the Outline of Your Top Hat Drawing - Step 9
9. Texture the hat. Use curved lines of different lengths to texture the top of the crown and the front and back of the brim. Then, use cross hatching - lines set at perpendicular angles, like a tic tac toe board - on the side of the crown, the hatband, and the brim.
Color Your Top Hat Drawing
Color your top hat. Traditionally, many top hats, such as those placed on a snowman, are black in color. Brown is another popular color. Be creative! Color your hat to match any outfit or costume.
Would you like to draw different hats? See this post to learn how to draw an anime hats.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Step-by-Step Things to draw Guides post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Top Hat Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).