Learn how to draw a great looking Cute Caterpillar with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Cute Caterpillar.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
The caterpillar could be referred to as a baby butterfly. Caterpillars are the larva of both butterflies and moths. They are known for their appetites; their job is to eat. Most are vegetarians, but a few species hunt other insects.
When they have eaten their fill, caterpillars do something amazing. They wrap themselves tightly in a structure called a cocoon.
Inside, a transformation takes place. The chubby caterpillar soon becomes a slender butterfly with delicate, dazzling wings. The butterfly then breaks free of the cocoon, or chrysalis, and dries its wings in the sun.
Each type of caterpillar is unique. The silkworm caterpillar, for example, makes a fiber from which it hangs, similar to a spider from a web. People then harvest this fiber and weave it into fine cloth.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Other caterpillars are brightly colored, furry, or have spines to scare away predators. Some caterpillars mimic the appearance of snakes, while others practice safety in numbers as they march in a line called a train.
A very famous cute caterpillar is The Very Hungry Caterpillar, star of the children's book by Eric Carle. Other famous caterpillars include the large and lovable Heimlich from Disney's A Bug's Life (1998), and Absolem the caterpillar of Alice in Wonderland.
Would you like to draw your own cute and cuddly caterpillar? This easy, step-by-step caterpillar drawing tutorial is here to help.
All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to employ crayons, colored pencils, or markers to shade your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Sheep, Bat, and Cartoon Panda.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Caterpillar
How to Draw a Great Looking Cute Caterpillar for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will form the caterpillar's head.
Easy Cute Caterpillar Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a smaller shape overlapping the first. It should be rounded but irregular. Then, draw a third circular shape overlapping the second. These form the first segments of the caterpillar's body.
Easy Cute Caterpillar Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the guide lines from the circles.
Easy Cute Caterpillar Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw another circular shape overlapping the last, forming another segment.
Easy Cute Caterpillar Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw another, smaller, circular shape overlapping the previous, forming another segment.
Easy Cute Caterpillar Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw another, much smaller circle overlapping the last segment. This could be thought of as the caterpillar's tail.
Easy Cute Caterpillar Drawing - Step 7
7. Erase the guide lines from the segments.
Add More Details to Your Cute Caterpillar Picture - Step 8
8. Add features to your caterpillar. Draw antennae on top of the head. For each antenna, extend a curved line upward from the top of the head. Double it back on itself, enclosing a rounded shape at the tip. Then, reconnect the line with the head. Next, draw two small triangles extending from each of the caterpillar's front sections. These are the caterpillar's feet.
Complete the Outline of Your Cute Caterpillar Drawing - Step 9
9. Give your caterpillar a smiling face. Use a wide "U" shaped line for the mouth, with small curved lines at each end. Draw two ovals to form the eyes. Within each eye, enclose two smaller ovals. Shade between them, forming the pupil. Enclose a curved shape above each eye using two lines, indicating the eyebrows.
Color Your Cute Caterpillar Drawing
10. Color your caterpillar. What color should he be? Real caterpillars come in every color you can imagine. Inchworm caterpillars are bright green, while Monarch butterfly caterpillars are black and yellow. Others are yellow, red, orange, or white.
Want to learn how to draw more creepy, crawly insects? Check out our selection of animal drawing guides, where you'll find spiders, scorpions, and more.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Cute Things to draw Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cute Caterpillar Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).