Learn how to draw a great looking Star with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Star.
Starlight, star bright, first star I drew tonight... Okay, we know that's not how the nursery rhyme goes. But you can learn how to draw a star with the help of this easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
Stars are simple geometric shapes. The five-pointed star like the one in this illustration is also called a pentagram, with "penta" meaning "five." The five-pointed star is actually an irregular decagon or ten-sided shape. The lines crossing it help give it a three-dimensional appearance.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Stars are used in many patterns. For example, check out the hat-wearing star shape in this Christmas ornament drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Star
How to Draw a Great Looking Star for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon star outline by drawing two straight lines in an inverted "V" shape. This is the uppermost point of the star.
Easy Star Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw two more straight lines in a "V" shape, connected to the first "V". This forms the second arm of the star.
Easy Star Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw two more straight lines in a "V" shape, connected to the previous "V". This forms the third arm or leg of the star.
Easy Star Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw two more straight lines in a "V" shape, connected to the first "V". This forms the fourth arm of the star.
Easy Star Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw two more straight lines in a "V" shape, connected to two of the other "V"s and completely enclosing the star shape. This forms the fifth and final arm or leg of the star.
Easy Star Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a straight, vertical line down the center of the star, from its uppermost point to the junction of its two legs. You can use a ruler or straightedge to help you make a straight line. The line should divide the star equally in half.
Easy Star Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw another straight line across the star, connecting the point of one of its arms to the junction of the two arms opposite.
Add More Details to Your Star Picture - Step 8
8. Draw another straight line from the junction of two arms to the point of one of the legs. Notice that all the lines cross the same point in the middle of the star.
Complete the Outline of Your Star Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw two final straight lines connecting the remaining points to the junctions opposite them. Again, all the lines should intersect in the middle of the star.
Color Your Star Drawing
Color your five-pointed star outline. Notice how we've used lighter and darker shades of the same color to enhance the shape's three-dimensional appearance.
What color should your star be? We've used yellow in our illustration because many natural stars appear yellow to the naked eye. But you can use any color you desire or even an array of different colors.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Star Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).