Learn how to draw a great looking Tsunami with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Tsunami.
A tsunami is a giant wave that crashes onto coastlines. Learn how to draw a tsunami just like the ones you see in movies.
Tsunamis can happen after an earthquake or volcano eruption. This cartoon drawing uses sweeping curves to show how big and powerful the wave is. You'll make the palm trees bend to the side to show the wind's incredible power.
Try writing a story about your tsunami drawing. Where does this take place? Did everyone evacuate the city on time?
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
If you like drawing harsh weather, try sketching a cartoon tornado drawing. You could even draw a tornado and tsunami in one picture.
That probably wouldn't happen in real life, but you can do anything in art.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Tsunami
How to Draw a Great Looking Tsunami for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Sketch curved, loose triangle shapes like sand dunes for the cartoon waves.
Easy Tsunami Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw rounded triangles that point upward for the left wave in front of the city. Sketch a curved line to the right, then draw loops inside the waves like the edges of bushes. Use a ruler to draw the ground with straight lines.
Easy Tsunami Drawing - Step 3
3. Sketch a horizontal curve on the right near the top of the page. Draw loose, wavy and curly lines underneath like flames. Add vertical curved lines underneath, then sketch more wavy lines inside the top of the wave.
Easy Tsunami Drawing - Step 4
4. Outline the wave with smaller loops and a large curve. Draw more loops for the shrubs. Use narrow triangles that point to the left for the palm trees.
Easy Tsunami Drawing - Step 5
5. Use your ruler to draw rectangles for the buildings behind the trees.
Easy Tsunami Drawing - Step 6
6. Sketch more domes and rectangles for the buildings on the right.
Easy Tsunami Drawing - Step 7
7. Add more rectangles and narrow points on top of two of the buildings.
Add More Details to Your Tsunami Picture - Step 8
8. Draw even grids inside the buildings on the left. Sketch squares inside one building and rectangles in the other. This should resemble a cartoon city drawing.
Complete the Outline of Your Tsunami Drawing - Step 9
9. Sketch narrow rectangles inside the building in the center. Add smaller rectangles on top, then two ovals. Draw lines near the top of the building on the right.
Outline your cartoon tsunami with a black pen, marker or pencil. Use your ruler when you outline the squares and rectangles to keep them even. Make the waves bright blue with white foam.
Color Your Tsunami Drawing
Use dark green for the shrubs and palm tree leaves, brown for the tree trunks, gray for the ground and light blue for the sky. You can use any colors for the city. This guide recommends a combination of dark blue, light blue, brown, orange, yellow, pink and gray.
For more great landscape drawing tutorials, see the collection of Easy Landscape Drawings for Kids.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Tsunami Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).