Learn how to draw a great looking Impossible Star with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Impossible Star.
What is an impossible object? Also called impossible figures or undecidable figures, these objects are two-dimensional drawings that create an optical illusion.
When our brains attempt to render the drawing as a three-dimensional object, we may perceive contradictory perspectives when viewing different parts of the object; it may appear to be geometrically impossible in real space.
The more sides an impossible object has, the less forceful the optical illusion becomes. That is why this star, with ten sides and five bars, may appear braided or twisted rather than "impossible."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
A similar impossible star was used in the wood engraving print "Stars" by artist M. C. Escher in 1948. Escher was famous for the use of impossible objects in his artwork.
Stars such as this one are rich in cultural meaning. Based on the shining astronomical object, stars as symbols often take on a many-armed appearance.
They can be found in ancient carvings and artifacts as well as medieval heraldry.
The star in this drawing guide has five arms. This type of star is often used to represent famous persons or awards (as in, "a five-star restaurant").
Would you like to draw an impossible star? This easy, step-by-step star drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing an Impossible Star
How to Draw a Great Looking Impossible Star for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a long, straight, diagonal line. This begins to outline the first of the impossible star's bars. From the bottom of the line, extend a shorter straight line upward. This outlines the first "leg" of the star. Then, extend another line downward at the opposite diagonal. This begins the star's opposite "leg."
Easy Impossible Star Drawing - Step 2
2. From the previous line, extend a short straight line on the opposite diagonal. From there, extend a long straight line upward. From the top of this line, draw a short straight line, then another long straight line downward, parallel to the previous long line. This outlines another of the star's bars.
Easy Impossible Star Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend a straight line diagonally from the bottom left corner of the star. Extend another line parallel to this one from the open-ended line. From the top of the star, extend a long straight line downward, parallel to the existing line. Connect this line to the point of the star's "leg" using a short straight line.
Easy Impossible Star Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend two straight horizontal lines across the middle of the star. Notice that one of the lines encloses lines drawn in the previous step, and that the top line is longer than the lower line.
Easy Impossible Star Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a longer straight line above the lines drawn in the previous step. Connect these lines on one end using a short straight line. On the opposite end, extend a long straight line downward at a diagonal angle.
Easy Impossible Star Drawing - Step 6
6. From the left "arm" of the star, extend a short straight line. From this, draw a long straight line parallel to the existing line. Connect the tip of the opposite arm using a long straight line.
Easy Impossible Star Drawing - Step 7
7. Use straight lines to connect the points as pictured. Erase guide lines as necessary.
Add More Details to Your Impossible Star Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a short straight line from the line in the uppermost point. Then, extend a line downward to meet the other bar.
Complete the Outline of Your Impossible Star Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a straight line from the upper tip to the left "leg" to complete the figure.
Color Your Impossible Star Drawing
10. Color your impossible star. Notice the shading used in our example.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Impossible Star Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).