Draw a great looking Anime Eyes with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
Some credit William Shakespeare with the maxim, "the eyes are the windows to the soul." This means that you can learn a lot about a person by watching their eyes.
The eyes are one source of nonverbal communication - we show our feelings to others when we cry, when our eyes are drawn up along with a smile, when they grow wide with fear, are squinted in anger, or when we roll our eyes in contempt.
The Japanese animation style known as anime takes the art of the eye to a whole new level.
The eyes of anime characters are large and expressive, often square in shape and somewhat pointed, rather than round.
Each artist or series displays a distinct drawing style, which may include interesting styles of hair and dress and differing degrees of realism.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Modern anime arose during the 1950s, following the success of American animated cartoons, such as those produced by Walt Disney.
Since then, the popularity of anime has spread around the world. Many popular cartoons are dubbed with other languages, such as English, and marketed around the world.
A subculture has grown up around anime and manga - not only do fans watch the television shows, but they often delight in playing video or card games, reading books, dressing up as characters and engaging in live action role play, or learning to draw their favorite characters.
Would you like to draw an anime (or manga) character? Mastering anime girl eyes is a good place to start, and this simple, step-by-step eye drawing tutorial is here to help.
All you will need is a pencil or a pen and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to use colored pencils or something similar to shade your finished drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing Anime Girl Eyes
1. Begin by drawing two curved lines. These will form the tops of the anime girl eyes.
2. Draw another curved line beneath each of those drawn in the first step. It should meet the first line in a point on the inside of each eye, open on the other end. Then, extend short, curved lines outward from the end of each line. Connect the lines using a short, straight line, enclosing the upper eye.
3. Allow some space beneath each eye, then draw a curved line. On one end of each line, to the outside of the eye, draw a pair of short lines.
4. Draw a thick, curved line above each eye. These lines represent the eyebrows.
5. Use a long, curved line to enclose an irregular rounded shape between the upper and lower portions of the anime girl eye. This will form the iris of the eye.
6. Repeat this process on the other eye, enclosing an irregular rounded shape using a long, curved line, to form a mirror image.
7. Within the iris of each eye, draw a small circle to form the pupil.
8. Add detail to the iris of the eye. Draw a curved line connecting the pupil to the iris on each side. The resulting shape should resemble two mountains, with the pupil like a rising sun between them.
9. Draw a small oval beside each pupil to highlight the eye, and shade the upper portion of the eye.
10. Color your anime girl eyes. Common human eye colors include brown, amber, green, hazel, grey, blue, and even violet. Of course, your anime character can sport any eye color you may dream up. Don't forget to be creative!
For more great Anime drawing tutorials, see the 31 Cute Anime Drawing Designs post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).