A beginner-friendly guide to learning how to draw a great-looking Anime and Manga Eyes with easy, step by step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for beginner artists!
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Anime drawings are well-known for their large, expressive eyes. You can learn how to draw anime and manga eyes with this easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
Below, we'll examine what makes anime eyes different from those of other comics and cartoons.
Then, we'll show you how to draw anime girl eyes step-by-step. We'll also discuss the similarities and differences between male and female anime eyes.
What Makes Anime Eyes Different?
When you first see a new cartoon character, you likely look to the eyes to determine whether it is an anime character or from some other animation style.
What makes anime and manga eyes different from other illustrations? The eyes are typically larger and more widely set.
They are also set lower on the face. The detail of the pupil and iris is more apparent, giving the eyes a watery or sparkly appearance.
Eye shape also plays a major role. Anime eyes are seldom round or even oval-shaped. They are more rectangular, and the lines at the sides of the eyes do not attach to the bottom line.
Step-by-Step Tutorial for Drawing Anime and Manga Eyes
Now, let's learn how to draw anime eyes step-by-step.
It's easy to fall in love with the large, vibrant eyes of female anime characters. You can enhance your skills as you practice drawing them.
Anime and Manga Eyes drawing - Step 1
1. Draw two ovals. Notice their vertical positioning and that they are widely spaced.
Anime and Manga Eyes drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved line across the top of each eye. Notice that the line is longer on the outer sides of the eyes, curving along the side. In the inner corner, the line is shorter and stops about halfway down the oval.
Anime and Manga Eyes drawing - Step 3
3. Give the eyes a thick outline. Draw curved lines that meet the points of the lines in the previous step. At the outer corners, use a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points to indicate the eyelashes. Note, too, the short curved line extending from the top of the eye to contour the eyelid.
Anime and Manga Eyes drawing - Step 4
4. Shade the borders around the eyes, making them thick, dark lines. Shade a small oval inside each eye to indicate the pupil. At the bottom of each eye, draw a curved line and a few small triangles to indicate lashes. Shade the lashes.
Anime and Manga Eyes drawing - Step 5
5. Use curved lines to sketch the pointed eyebrows above the eyes.
Learn more about anime eyebrows and how they are critical for expressing facial emotions.
Anime and Manga Eyes drawing - Step 6
6. Enclose an oval and a circle inside the iris of each eye. This gives it the characteristic sparkly appearance.
Anime and Manga Eyes drawing - Step 7
7. Shade your completed anime eyes.
Male and Female Anime Eyes - How They Compare
You've just learned how to draw anime girl eyes. But what about the eyes of your male characters?
Male and female manga eyes have a lot in common. As already mentioned, they are often larger, more widely spaced, and set lower in the face than when compared to other cartoon styles.
They're rectangular, and "sparkly" due to the detail and points of light reflected in the iris and pupil.
However, there are major differences. The most notable is the shape. While both male and female eyes are rectangular, male eyes are more distinctly so.
Earlier, when we learned about the anime head and face, it was noted that male faces are longer and sharper, while female faces are more rounded. The same is true of the eyes.
Look at the illustration, which allows you to compare male and female anime eyes side by side. Notice the following elements:
- Male eyes are more distinctly rectangular, with sharper corners.
- Female eyebrows are smaller than male eyebrows.
- Male eyebrows are tilted inward, easily expressing anger or frustration.
- Male eyes lack distinctive eyelashes at the corner.
- Female eyes contain more "sparkle," reflections or points of light.
- Male eyes have more contour lines around them.
- The iris and pupil may be more round or more oval shape, but this can differ by character.
Anime and Manga Eyes from Different Perspective
The eye shape will also differ depending on the perspective from which the face is drawn. We've been looking at the front view.
When you draw anime side profile, the eyes will form more of a triangle shape, with the pupil and iris making up one side. At 3/4 view face, one eye will be drawn smaller than the other.
What to draw next?
Mastering the anime eyes will set your drawings apart from other cartoon styles. Can you apply these basic shapes to a range of characters?
Try your hand at drawing an anime character with a beard and glasses, a kissing anime drawing, or an angry anime girl. Notice how her eyebrows take on a very different shape!
Our free anime drawing lessons will instruct you how to draw anime and manga characters. The tutorial covers drawing anime and manga faces, bodies, facial features and expressions, emotions, hair, clothes, and complete characters. See all of our anime style drawing tutorials.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).