Learn how to draw a great looking Cartoon Hair with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Cartoon Hair.
Hair has been important to human culture at least since the time of the ancient Egyptians. Hair styles then came to represent social standing - for example, facial hair in men was a demarcation of royalty.
This was so important to that culture that Hatshepsut, the first female pharaoh, had herself depicted with a beard in temple carvings and paintings.
In the Bible, Samson's great strength was dependent on his not trimming his hair. In the Victorian era, it was customary to keep a lock of hair in order to remember a deceased friend or family member.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Indeed, hair is still an important part of our lives. Many people expend great amounts of time and money on styling their hair.
Would you like to learn how to draw hair? This simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial explores a classic hairstyle - that of pigtails, or hair tied back on each side of the head.
Did you know? The term pigtail originated in the American colonies in the 1600s. It described a "twist" of chewing tobacco, made from curling several leaves together and then drying them.
It was so named due to its resemblance to the curly tail of a pig. Later, it was applied to braids or tied bunches of hair that were worn by both men and women.
All you will need to complete your drawing is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and a good eraser. Each step of this drawing guide includes an illustration as well as explanatory text.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Cartoon Hair
How to Draw a Great Looking Cartoon Hair for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will form your cartoon character's head - after all, cartoon hair needs a cartoon head to grow on.
Easy Cartoon Hair Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend a line from one side of the circle to the other, enclosing a rounded shape below the circle. This continues to shape the cartoon character's face.
Easy Cartoon Hair Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a straight, horizontal guide line across the bottom portion of the circle. This guide line will help you to place other features on the drawing, such as the ears. Enclose each ear using a curved line. The top of the ear should connect to the head at the same point as the horizontal guide line.
Easy Cartoon Hair Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the guide line formed by the bottom of the circle.
Easy Cartoon Hair Drawing - Step 5
5. Outline the hair using a series of connected, curved lines. Notice how the outline of the hair is larger than that of the head. Also note how the locks of hair come together in curved points. Use the horizontal guide line to position the hair, and don't forget the small lock of hair extending from the crown of the head.
Easy Cartoon Hair Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw an even smaller lock at the crown of the head, then draw the hair ties that hold each pigtail. For each hair tie, draw two small circles. Then, decorate the ties with polka dots by drawing even smaller circles within each figure.
Easy Cartoon Hair Drawing - Step 7
7. Erase the horizontal guide line and the guide line formed by the original circle. You now have a clean outline of the head.
Add More Details to Your Cartoon Hair Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a pigtail, the hair held apart by the hair tie. Enclose the hair using long and short curved lines that meet in jagged points.
Complete the Outline of Your Cartoon Hair Drawing - Step 9
9. Repeat the process of drawing the pigtail on the opposite side, again using long and short curved lines that meet in jagged points.
Color Your Cartoon Hair Drawing
10. Color your cartoon hair. Common hair colors include black, blonde, brown or red, but many people dye their hair additional colors - for example, purple or blue. Be creative! Why stop there? Visit one of our other drawing tutorials to learn how to add features such as a nose, eyes, and mouth to your drawing.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Cute Things to draw Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cartoon Hair Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).