Learn how to draw a great looking Frankenstein's Monster with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial, plus FREE printable pages.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Frankenstein's Monster.
"Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful."
- Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, published in 1818, was among the first works of the science fiction genre.
The story tells of an archetypal mad scientist who builds a living creature from hands, feet, and other parts stolen from corpses.
The title character, is not, in fact, the monster, but the scientist who brings him to life.
Made, remade, and borrowed from many times over, the 1931 movie adaptation of Frankenstein, acted by Boris Karloff, gave the character his stereotypical image.
That is the version we'll draw in this easy Frankenstein drawing tutorial.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? The name "Frankenstein" means "stone of the Franks" (a people in Germany).
Several towns and castles in Germany are named Frankenstein. The author visited Frankenstein Castle several years before the book was written.
The castle had famously been the abode of Conrad Dippel, a notorious physician and alchemist who had performed experiments on human bodies.
Would you like to draw Frankenstein's monster? This easy, step-by-step monster drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Frankenstein
How to Draw a Great Looking Frankenstein's Monster for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing two vertical curved lines. These will form the sides of Frankenstein's forehead.
Easy Frankenstein's Monster Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved line, like a wide, rounded "W," beneath each of the previous lines. These form the brows.
Easy Frankenstein's Monster Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a series of curved lines to trace the sides of the face. Note the bulges at the cheek, mouth, and chin.
Easy Frankenstein's Monster Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a series of curved lines to sketch the opposite side of the face, fully enclosing it. Again, note the bulging chin, mouth, and cheek. Also, notice the overlap of lines that gives Frankenstein a strong cheekbone.
Easy Frankenstein's Monster Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw Frankenstein's eyes. Draw a circle under each of the brows. Then, shade a smaller circle within each circle to indicate the pupils.
Easy Frankenstein's Monster Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a curved line to sketch the nose. Notice the large bulge at the tip of the nose and smaller bulges that form the nostrils.
Easy Frankenstein's Monster Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw Frankenstein's lopsided, open mouth. Use curved lines to sketch a shape like a rounded triangle. Then, draw a short curved line beneath the mouth to indicate the chin.
Add More Details to Your Frankenstein's Monster Picture - Step 8
8. Draw Frankenstein's hair. Use a series of short, curved lines that meet at jagged points to enclose the roughly oval shape at the top of the head.
Then, draw a curved line descending from the hair across the forehead, forming a scar. Band the scar with short, curved lines, indicating stitches.
Complete the Outline of Your Frankenstein's Monster Drawing - Step 9
9. Use "C" shaped lines to enclose Frankenstein's ears. Detail the inside of each ear with additional curved lines. Draw two curved lines beneath the nose, and two more at the corners of the mouth.
Finally, draw the bolts emerging from Frankenstein's neck. Draw a circle on each side of the chin, and connect it to the chin using a pair of curved lines. The outline of your Frankenstein drawing is now ready.
Color Your Frankenstein's Monster Drawing
Color Frankenstein. His skin is usually green in color.
Do you wish to practice your drawing skills with more ghoulish fun? Check out our other free tutorials of things to draw.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!