Learn how to draw a great looking Mother's Day Heart with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Mother's Day Heart.
Mother's Day is a holiday celebrated in countries throughout the world. Common customs include children drawing greeting cards for their mothers, or giving them flowers or other small gifts.
Gifts may also be presented to grandmothers, and wives may receive flowers or other sentiments from their husbands.
In many countries, such as the United States, Mother's Day is observed on the second Sunday of May. There, Mother's Day became an official holiday in 1910, due to the efforts of a social activist to honor her own mother, who had cared for the wounded during the Civil War.
You might be surprised to learn that setting a day aside to honor mothers is a custom with a long history. According to the Encyclopædia Britannica, the modern Mother's Day is “a festival derived from the custom of mother worship in ancient Greece.
Formal mother worship, with ceremonies to Cybele, or Rhea, the Great Mother of the Gods, were performed on the Ides of March throughout Asia Minor."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Later, during the Middle Ages, it became customary for the fourth Sunday in Lent, a solemn religious observance preceding the Easter holiday, to be used to return home a visit one's mother. In Britain, this came to be called Mothering Day. At one time, pink-iced sweet buns were a part of the celebration.
Would you like to draw something to say "I love you" to your mom? This easy, step-by-step drawing guide is here to help.
You will need only a sheet of paper, an eraser, and a pencil. You may also wish to use crayons, colored pencils, or something similar to shade your finished drawing. Often, hearts are colored in shades of pink or red.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Heart for the Mother's Day
How to Draw a Great Looking Mother's Day Heart for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a heart. To draw this familiar shape, use two curved lines, meeting in downward facing points at both the top and bottom.
Easy Mother's Day Heart Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a pair of curved, horizontal lines across the the heart. This will form the "mom" banner.
Easy Mother's Day Heart Drawing - Step 3
3. Enclose each end of the banner using a short, curved line.
Easy Mother's Day Heart Drawing - Step 4
4. Beneath the banner, where it overlaps the edge of the heart, draw a short, straight, vertical line. Draw a second straight line extending from the first, the lines meeting at a perpendicular angle. This begins the ribbon-cut end of the banner.
Easy Mother's Day Heart Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend a slightly curved line outward from the edge of the banner. Connect this line to those below it using a "V" shaped line, enclosing the banner.
Easy Mother's Day Heart Drawing - Step 6
6. On the opposite side, extend a vertical line downward from the point where the heart and the banner meet. Then, extend a longer curved line from the bottom of this line at a perpendicular angle.
Easy Mother's Day Heart Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend a curved line from the banner, and connect it to lines below it using a "V" shaped line. This encloses the end of the banner, forming a mirror image.
Add More Details to Your Mother's Day Heart Picture - Step 8
8. Erase the guide lines of the heart from the banner.
Complete the Outline of Your Mother's Day Heart Drawing - Step 9
9. To indicate the folds in the banner and give it a three dimensional appearance, draw a curved line from the edge of the central portion of the banner to the corner of the banner end. Then, write the words "I Love You" across the heart and "Mom" across the banner.
Color Your Mother's Day Heart Drawing
10. Color your heart.
Remember, Mother's Day comes only once a year, but hard-working moms need our appreciation year-round. Every day is a good day to say "I love you, mom."
For more great Mother's Day drawing tutorials, see the 17 Best Mother's Day Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Mother's Day Heart Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).