Learn how to draw a great looking Neptune with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Neptune.
Would you like to learn how to draw the planet Neptune? This easy, step-by-step Neptune drawing tutorial will show you how.
Neptune is the eighth planet from the Sun. Like Jupiter and Saturn, it is a gas giant. Like Uranus, it is an ice giant.
Can you find Neptune on this solar system diagram? (Hint: It's big, blue, and far from the Sun).
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In our drawing, Neptune is a simple circle encased in wispy clouds. Neptune is known to have five faint rings, but these are not included since they are so difficult to see - even through a telescope.
Neptune was named after the Roman god of the sea because of its blue-green color. The Roman Neptune is the same as the Greek Poseidon; you can learn how to draw the sea god here.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Neptune
How to Draw a Great Looking Neptune for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the Neptune outline by drawing a large circle. This forms the basic shape of the planet. On one side, near the equator, enclose an irregular shape using curved lines. This is one of Neptune's icy water, methane, or ammonia clouds.
Easy Neptune Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a series of long curved lines to draw a wispy cloud encircling the planet's equator. Note that some of the lines meet at points.
Easy Neptune Drawing - Step 3
3. Finish enclosing the equatorial cloud. Then, enclose another pointed cloud at the edge of the planet.
Easy Neptune Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a series of curved lines to begin drawing another cloud. Note that the lines meet at points on each end and that the top is not fully enclosed.
Easy Neptune Drawing - Step 5
5. From the opening at the top of the cloud, extend a curved line and double it back upon itself, forming the arm of a possible hurricane. Enclose an irregular round shape inside it.
Easy Neptune Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to enclose an elongated cloud in the northern hemisphere of the planet.
Easy Neptune Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a long "Z" shaped line near Neptune's north pole. In the southern hemisphere, enclose several small cloud formations.
Add More Details to Your Neptune Picture - Step 8
8. Draw wavy lines crossing the northern hemisphere of the planet, visible between the clouds. Then, enclose several smaller cloud formations near the lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Neptune Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw long wavy lines and "Z" shaped lines between the clouds of the planet's southern hemisphere.
Color Your Neptune Drawing
Your Neptune outline is complete. Neptune is cold and looks a bit like a blue marble. Color your icy planet in shades of light blue to medium blue with white wisps of cloud.
For more great space drawing tutorials, see the collection of Cute How to Draw Space Art Projects.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Neptune Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).