Learn how to draw a great looking Hogwarts Crest with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Hogwarts Crest.
Harry Potter was a young boy who discovered he was a wizard.
He then attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the book and film series Harry Potter.
In true British style, this fictional institution sports a heraldic crest.
Heraldry was a form of symbolism developed in the Middle Ages to display the rank and achievements of a person, family, or organization.
It involved shields, animals, armor, weapons, a motto, and other visible symbols.
The term crest is often used to refer to the heraldic shield, but historically it referred to the plume or sculpture worn on the helmet of a knight or soldier.
The crest could also be seen above the helmet, which rested atop the shield of a heraldic achievement.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The shield design itself could more properly be referred to as a coat of arms, as this part of the heraldic achievement was literally emblazoned onto a shield known as an escutcheon.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of the Hogwarts crest?
This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper.
You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing the Hogwarts Crest
How to Draw a Great Looking Hogwarts Crest for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a long curved line to outline the sides and bottom of the crest. At each end, double the line back upon itself to enclose a rounded shape. Along the base, notice the downward-pointing triangular shapes.
Easy Hogwarts Crest Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a long curved line from just below one of the round shapes to just below the other, outlining the top of the crest. Notice the bulges on each side of the top and the downward point in the middle.
Easy Hogwarts Crest Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the upper shield sections. Use straight lines to outline the bottom and inner sides of the shapes, and curved lines for the tops and outer sides.
Easy Hogwarts Crest Drawing - Step 4
4. Outline the lower shield sections using straight and curved lines. Notice the square shape that is left open in the center, as well as the way the bottoms of the sections parallel the outline of the shield.
Easy Hogwarts Crest Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a serif letter "H" in the center of the shield.
Easy Hogwarts Crest Drawing - Step 6
6. In the upper left section, sketch a lion. Use curved lines that meet in points to sketch the mane, and additional curved lines for the face, legs, body, and tail. Shade a small oval to form the eye.
Easy Hogwarts Crest Drawing - Step 7
7. In the upper right corner, use overlapping, curved, parallel lines to sketch a snake. Shade a small oval to form the eye.
Add More Details to Your Hogwarts Crest Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved lines to outline the head, body, legs, and tail of a mastiff-type dog. Shade a small circle to form the eye.
Complete the Outline of Your Hogwarts Crest Drawing - Step 9
9. Use curved lines to outline the head, beak, body, and upper wings of a bird of prey. Use a series of "U" shaped lines to draw the feathers at the bottom of each wing. Use pairs of straight lines to sketch the legs.
Color Your Hogwarts Crest Drawing
Color your cartoon of the Hogwarts coat of arms. It is typically gold in color with red, green, yellow, and blue sections.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Hogwarts Crest Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).