Learn how to draw a great looking Cartoon Cactus with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Cartoon Cactus.
Let's draw a simple cartoon cactus against a desert background.
Cacti are known for their sharp spines and the ability to conserve water in their thick flesh. Most live in areas that experience periods of drought, many in the world’s driest deserts.
The saguaro cactus of Arizona, U.S.A., is the “tree” of the desert, growing to be up to 70 feet tall.
They may live 150 years, and don’t grow their first arm until they reach 75 years of age.
In late spring, the cactus opens white flowers for just one night, which are pollinated by bats that travel long distances to find the flowers.
The saguaro is the type of cactus featured in this tutorial.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Cacti are also used by humans and animals for food, water, and shelter. Woodpeckers may excavate holes in large cacti, in which these and smaller birds nest. Some cacti contain enough water to quench the thirst of a desert traveler.
Would you like to draw a cactus? Doing so is easy with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to employ crayons, colored pencils, markers, or paints to shade you finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Cactus
How to Draw a Great Looking Cartoon Cactus for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin to outline your cactus. Draw a long, curved line. Notice how the line doubles back on itself, forming the branch, or arm, of the cactus.
Easy Cartoon Cactus Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue to outline the cactus. Draw another long, curved line, again doubling it back to form the cactus’ second arm.
Easy Cartoon Cactus Drawing - Step 3
3. Give your cactus some ground to stand on. Draw several slightly curved, horizontal lines of various lengths to indicate the ground beneath the cactus.
Easy Cartoon Cactus Drawing - Step 4
4. Begin to outline a second cactus in the background. Use a long curved line, allowing it to double back on itself and form the cactus’ arm.
Easy Cartoon Cactus Drawing - Step 5
5. Complete the outline of the second cactus. Use another curved line, again doubling back to form the arm.
Easy Cartoon Cactus Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a curved, horizontal line to draw the ground beneath the second cactus.
Easy Cartoon Cactus Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the horizon. Use a long, wavy line to form the horizon line.
Add More Details to Your Cartoon Cactus Picture - Step 8
8. Draw another long, curved line above the horizon line, indicating sand dunes or mountains in the distance. Add depth and texture to the foreground by drawing long, curved lines, indicating drifting sand.
Complete the Outline of Your Cartoon Cactus Drawing - Step 9
9. Add detail to your cartoon cacti. Draw long, curved lines along the length of the cactus’ bodies and arms. Cacti are known for their sharp spikes, so draw these using short lines. Finally, draw a number of short, curved lines at the bottom of each cactus to indicate hardy desert grasses.
Color Your Cartoon Cactus Drawing
10. Color your desert landscape.
For more great Plant cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Best Plant cartoons Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cartoon Cactus Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).