Learn how to draw a great looking Snake with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Snake.
Would you like to learn how to draw a snake? This easy, step-by-step animal drawing guide can show you how.
Snakes are easy to draw because their bodies are composed of curved lines. In fact, this snake has its upper body raised in an "S" shaped striking pattern. It senses smells in the air using its forked tongue.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Like most snakes, this snake has a blotchy pattern on its back. By applying realistic colors, you can turn your sketch into nearly any snake species you would like. Some species with similar patterns include rattlesnakes, corn snakes, rat snakes, copperheads, and milk snakes.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Snake
How to Draw a Great Looking Snake for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon snake outline by drawing the snake's face and head. Outline the face using a curved line doubled back upon itself. Draw a "Y" shaped line, then enclose three successively smaller circles between its arms. Detail the nostril with a short line.
Easy Snake Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend two curved lines from the front of the face, and connect them on the end with a "V" shaped line. This forms the snake's forked tongue. Then, extend a curved line from the eye ridge, tracing the back of the head.
Easy Snake Drawing - Step 3
3. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the lower jaw and the bottom of the neck.
Easy Snake Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend curved lines from each side of the snake's head, outlining the coiling body.
Easy Snake Drawing - Step 5
5. Continue drawing the snake's coiled body, using overlapping curved lines.
Easy Snake Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend a long curved line from the front of the snake's body and double it back on itself. Draw a curved line down its center. Then, extend curved lines from the opposite side, allowing them to meet at a point. This is the snake's tail.
Easy Snake Drawing - Step 7
7. Pattern the snake's scales, using curved lines to enclose rounded shapes on the snake's back. Band its neck with short lines.
Add More Details to Your Snake Picture - Step 8
8. Continue drawing irregular round blotches on the snake's back.
Complete the Outline of Your Snake Drawing - Step 9
9. Continue to draw rounded blotches on the snake's back and tail until the pattern is complete.
Color Your Snake Drawing
Your cartoon snake is now complete. We've colored ours in shades of green. Many snakes have blotchy black, brown, gray, and copper patterns. Other snakes have bold colors, such as red or bright yellow.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Snake Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).