Learn how to draw a great looking Basketball Player with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Basketball Player.
Basketball may be the only sport to be invented completely in America. It arose at a YMCA in 1891 as an indoor sport to be played on a rainy day.
The first basketball goals weren't hoops - they were actual baskets, half-bushel baskets used for peaches. Before the basketball was invented, soccer balls were used.
Today, certain basketball players are iconic - Michael Jordan, LeBron James, and Steph Curry, to name a few.
Would you like to draw a basketball player in action? This easy, step-by-step drawing guide is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Basketball Player
How to Draw a Great Looking Basketball Player for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the basketball player's head. First, draw a curved line, like a half circle. This forms the top of the head. Then, use a "C" shaped line to form the ear. Finally, use a long curved line to outline the face and enclose the figure. Notice how the line forms a gentle point to indicate the chin.
Easy Basketball Player Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend two curved lines below the head to form the neck. Enclose the neck using a "V" shaped line to indicate the neck of the shirt. Then, use long, curved lines to enclose the shape of the torso. Notice the short lines near the neck that indicate ripples in the fabric.
Easy Basketball Player Drawing - Step 3
3. Next, begin sketching the shorts. Use a long curved line to enclose a narrow, rounded, rectangular shape just below the torso, forming the belt or waistband. Then, use long lines to outline the shorts. A "C" shaped line encloses the figure, and short curved lines indicate folds in the fabric.
Easy Basketball Player Drawing - Step 4
4. Use long curved lines to outline the leg, extending from the bottom of the shorts. Enclose the bottom of the leg with a "V" shaped line, which will also form the top of the shoe. Below the "V," draw a narrow oval to form the bottom of the shoe. Connect each end of the oval to the sides of the "V" using curved lines.
Easy Basketball Player Drawing - Step 5
5. Use short lines to enclose the visible portion of the far leg of the shorts. Then, use curved lines to enclose the leg and shoe. Notice the broken line that indicates the sole of the shoe.
Easy Basketball Player Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the basketball player's arm, erasing guide lines as necessary. Draw a partial circle to form the opening of the sleeve. Then, outline the arm using long, curved lines. Note the nearly rectangular shape of the armband just above the elbow. Use long, narrow "U" shaped lines to craft each finger, fully enclosing the hand.
Easy Basketball Player Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining arm. Use long curved lines to outline the arm, and complete the hand using long, narrow "U" shaped lines.
Add More Details to Your Basketball Player Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the basketball player's face and hair. Draw a wavy line, like a series of connected "U"s, to form the hairline. Texture the hair with curved lines, and enclose an irregular shape to form the scrunchy. Use long lines to enclose the shape of the ponytail. Use curved lines to indicate the eyebrows, nose, mouth, and lower lip. For the eyes, shade small circles within teardrop shapes.
Complete the Outline of Your Basketball Player Drawing - Step 9
9. Use curved lines to draw a stripe down the side of the jersey and shorts. Draw a set of horizontal curved lines across each leg, and connect them to the shoes using vertical curved lines. These form the socks. Give her a shadow using straight lines beneath her. Finally, use a circle and curved lines to draw the basketball.
Color Your Basketball Player Drawing
10. Color your basketball player to match your favorite team.
For more great People drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy People Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Basketball Player Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).