Learn how to draw a great looking Beaver with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Beaver.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Beavers are large aquatic rodents. There are two species of beavers, and they are native to North America, Europe, and Asia. Beavers are the second largest rodent in the world, with one individual weighing in at over 85 pounds. Beavers are social creatures and often live with their extended families.
Beavers are known for their ability to build wooden structures called dams. Beavers chew on the trunks of trees, felling them. They then drag the trees into the water to carefully build their dam and a home called a lodge.
The beaver has a large, flat, furless tail which it uses as a paddle when swimming and as a tool when mortaring the dam with mud.
Did you know? The beaver's large front teeth have orange enamel. Why? Calcium in the enamel has been replaced with iron, making the teeth very strong.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Perhaps the most well-known beavers to popular culture are Nickelodeon's The Angry Beavers (1997-2001). The series followed the adventures of two brothers, Norbert and Daggett.
Other beaver characters include Toothy and Handy of Happy Tree Friends, Mr. and Mrs. Beaver of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and the unnamed beaver of Redwall.
Interestingly, the name "Beverly" is a combination of the Old English words for "beaver" and "clearing."
Would you like to draw an industrious cartoon beaver? This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Groundhog, Cute Narwhal, and River.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Beaver
How to Draw a Great Looking Beaver for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing three overlapping circles. Note that one circle is noticeably larger than the others. This will form the cartoon beaver's head and body.
Easy Beaver Drawing - Step 2
2. Detail the beaver's head. Use a curved line to form the ear, and additional curved lines to craft the top of the head, forehead, snout, and neck. Enclose an irregular rounded shape to indicate the nose.
Easy Beaver Drawing - Step 3
3. Outline the foreleg. Use short, curved lines that meet in jagged points to outline the sides of the leg. Enclose the foot and toes using curved lines that meet in points, indicating claws.
Easy Beaver Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a curved line connecting the circles at the top, outlining the beaver's back.
Easy Beaver Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the rear leg. Again, use short lines that meet in jagged points to outline the furry sides of the leg. Then, outline the foot using curved lines, with each toe concluding in a sharp point. Note the short lines that indicate the bend in the foot.
Easy Beaver Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase the guide lines left by the original circles. Complete the beaver's head and far ear using curved lines.
Easy Beaver Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend two long curved lines from behind the beaver's rear leg, and allow them to meet in a gentle, rounded point. This forms the beaver's tail. Texture the tail using cross hatching - perpendicular curved lines making a checkerboard pattern across the tail.
Add More Details to Your Beaver Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the beaver's face. Add connected, curved lines to indicate the furry cheek. For the eye, draw a circle within a circle, and shade between them. Enclose a curved shape above each eye to indicate the eyebrows. Extend long curved lines from each side of the mouth to form the whiskers.
Complete the Outline of Your Beaver Drawing - Step 9
9. Shade the nose, and detail the inside of the ear. Use curved lines to sketch the far feet. Finally, texture the beaver's fur using short lines.
Color Your Beaver Drawing
10. Color your beaver. They are typically brown in color.
Draw a river for your beaver to live in, and check out our animal drawing guides to give him additional woodland friends.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Beaver Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).