Learn how to draw a great looking Cute Narwhal with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Cute Narwhal.
What is a narwhal? Many people have never before heard of this unique creature from the sea. In fact, when ancient peoples found its bony, spiraled tusk, or tooth, lying on the beach, they were inspired to dream up such fanciful creatures as the unicorn (learn how to draw a unicorn).
In Medieval times, these horns were prized, assumed to have magical powers and were worth more than their weight in gold.
Another legend from the Inuit says that a woman hunting with a harpoon was dragged into the water. She was turned into a narwhal, and her hair, which she wore in a spiral, was transformed into the narwhal's tusk.
Narwhals have also been mentioned in famous literary works, such as Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne and Moby Dick by Herman Melville.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The narwhal, however, is no myth. It is a species of whale found in the Arctic region.
It is a toothed whale, similar to dolphins and orcas. Unlike dolphins, the narwhal has no dorsal fin. The whale grows to 16 feet in length and weighs more than 3,000 pounds.
The long, hollow tusk, which can be taller than a person, occurs only in males and is used in mating displays in which males appear to fight, called "tusking."
The tusk also has sensory organs that tell the whale about its surroundings, and can be used to stun fish with a slap when hunting. Rarely, an individual may have two tusks.
Narwhals travel in groups ranging in size from five animals to several thousand. They migrate yearly, from warm summer waters to feeding grounds beneath northern pack ice in winter. Like dolphins, narwhals communicate using clicks and other sounds. Individuals can live to be 50 years of age.
Would you like to draw a cute cartoon narwhal? Now you can, with the help of this easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to use colored pencils, crayons, or markers to color your finished picture.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Narwhal
How to Draw a Great Looking Cute Narwhal for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will form the narwhal's head.
Easy Cute Narwhal Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend two lines from the circle in a curved triangle shape; the lines should not touch. This outlines the whale's body and tail.
Easy Cute Narwhal Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the guide line formed by the original circle.
Easy Cute Narwhal Drawing - Step 4
4. Using two curved lines, enclose the two lobes of the tail.
Easy Cute Narwhal Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw two large circles to form the eyes. Within each eye, draw two small ovals of different sizes. These add a sparkle of cuteness to the eyes.
Easy Cute Narwhal Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a curved line above each eye to indicate eyebrows. Then, draw a "U" shaped curve between and below the eyes to form the smiling mouth.
Easy Cute Narwhal Drawing - Step 7
7. Use a curved line to draw each pectoral fin, or flipper. The flippers should be roughly like a curved triangle with a rounded tip.
Add More Details to Your Cute Narwhal Picture - Step 8
8. On the top of the narwhal's head, draw a tall, narrow triangle with rounded points. This forms the whale's spiral horn, or tusk. Band the horn with curved lines to indicate the spiral.
Complete the Outline of Your Cute Narwhal Drawing - Step 9
9. Finish off your narwhal with added cuteness. Draw small circles above the head for bubbles. Draw an oval under each eye to indicate blushing cheeks. Draw a heart on the flipper, and small curved lines above each eye for eyelashes.
Color Your Cute Narwhal Drawing
For more great Animal drawing tutorials, see the 100 Simple Animal Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cute Narwhal Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).