Learn how to draw a great looking Bull Skull with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Bull Skull.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Bull skulls have been used as a form of decoration for millennia, dating back even to the ancient Egyptians.
In modern times, bull skulls have often been used to symbolize a lack of water, deserts, or the American West. One example of this is the "dancing bones" scene in the animated film An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991).
How did the cow skull become iconic of this area, especially in past time periods? At one time, millions of bison or American buffalo roamed the American plains.
Early European explorers no doubt encountered their remains. Some Native American tribes carved designs on buffalo skulls to show appreciation for the food, clothing, and shelter that the animal's body had provided them.
Sadly, settlers slaughtered many bison during the 1800s in an attempt to drive out Native American peoples.
Later, cattle ranching was a popular occupation. In this way, the cow skull also became associated with the cowboy way of life.
The idea was romanticized in popular western movies and television shows. Cow skulls were often seen decorating furniture, gates, fenceposts, interior walls, and in more modern settings the hoods of cars.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a bull skull? This easy, step-by-step animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
You will need a pencil, pen, or marker, as well as a sheet of paper.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Desert, Camel, and Buffalo.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Bull Skull
How to Draw a Great Looking Bull Skull for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing two curved lines that meet at a point. This forms one of the bull's horns.
Easy Bull Skull Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curved lines to outline the top of the skull. Notice how the lines extending from the horn create the wider base of the horn. The lines on the side also begin the top of the eye socket. Be sure to leave a space open for the second horn to emerge.
Easy Bull Skull Drawing - Step 3
3. Use two long, curved lines to draw the second horn. Notice the bulge at the base, and the gentle point at the tip.
Easy Bull Skull Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a series of interconnected curved lines to draw the first half of the lower portion of the cow skull face. The longer, outer line should double back upon itself. This lower part of the skull is the cow's nasal area. Then, use another curved line, looping it back upon itself, to connect the early and later sections of the previous line.
Easy Bull Skull Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a long, curved line from the remaining eye socket to the bottom of the skull. This fully encloses the skull and completes the remaining nasal cavity.
Easy Bull Skull Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a long, curved line from the eye socket to the nasal cavity. Loop the line back upon itself to enclose an irregular shape. Band the shape with a short line. This forms an opening in the skull.
Easy Bull Skull Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw curved lines from the eye socket to the nasal cavity, enclosing an irregular round shape at the end. Then, draw a vertical line in the middle of the skull. Connect it to the sides using curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Bull Skull Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the base of the horn by banding it with curved lines. Draw a short, curved line on the skull beside the horn to give it depth and a three-dimensional appearance.
Complete the Outline of Your Bull Skull Drawing - Step 9
9. Band the base of the remaining horn with curved lines, and draw a curved line beside it on the skull.
Color Your Bull Skull Drawing
Color your bull skull. Typically, cow skulls like this one are white, cream, or light brown in color.
Cow skulls are often a symbol of the American West. You can embellish a desert scene with our handy drawing guide, and populate it with desert animals, including wolves, scorpions, lizards.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Best Things to draw Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Bull Skull Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).