Learn how to draw a great looking Dove with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Dove.
What does it sound like when the doves cry? You can find out (or at least pretend) when you learn how to draw a dove in flight.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
White doves carrying olive branches are a symbol of peace and the need for it. This can be traced back thousands of years to the writing of the Bible's old testament.
There, an account states that Noah sent out a dove three times to check and see if a great flood had receded from the land. When it brought back an olive leaf in its beak, he knew that the land was dry enough for plants to grow once again.
Watch 'How to Draw a Dove' Video Tutorial
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Dove
How to Draw a Great Looking Dove for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the dove outline by drawing the bird’s head. Use curved lines to enclose the teardrop-shaped beak, and band it with another.
Extend a curved line from the top of the beak to outline the head. Enclose a circle within a circle to form the eye; shade between the circles.
Easy Dove Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend a long curved line from the base of the neck to form the top of the wing. At the wingtip, draw two rows of connected “U” shaped lines to form the long flight feathers.
Easy Dove Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the bottom of the wing using a series of curved and “V” shaped lines. Contour and texture the wings with curved lines.
Easy Dove Drawing - Step 4
4. Contour the base of the wing with a curved line. Then, extend a long curved line from below the wing.
Double it back upon itself to form one of the “U” shaped tail feathers. Use a long curved line to complete the scalloped edge of the bird’s tail.
Easy Dove Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw more long, “U” shaped lines, extending the width of the tail. Texture the tail with long curved lines.
Easy Dove Drawing - Step 6
6. Enclose two “U” shaped feet. Then draw a long curved line from the bird’s beak to just above the foot. Connect the foot to the belly with a short line.
Easy Dove Drawing - Step 7
7. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to draw the remaining wing, including the “U” shaped flight feathers.
Add More Details to Your Dove Picture - Step 8
8. Next, draw an olive branch clasped in the bird’s beak. Draw two long, parallel lines, and allow them to attach on each end. Erase previous lines as necessary. Enclose a teardrop-shaped on one end of the twig.
If you want to draw a more detailed olive branch, check out this easy, step-by-step olive branch drawing guide.
Complete the Outline of Your Dove Drawing - Step 9
9. Enclose four more teardrop-shaped leaves along the branch.
Color Your Dove Drawing
Your dove outline is now complete. Color your cartoon. Our dove is white with a green olive branch in classic peace symbol style. Doves can also be marked with grey, brown, black, purple, blue, or green.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Dove Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).