Learn how to draw a great looking Hockey Player with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Hockey Player.
Ice hockey is typically played by two teams of six players each. The game is played on an ice rink, but it can also be played on other surfaces.
In street hockey, players typically wear roller blades and play in an outdoor court. Field hockey is played in normal athletic shoes.
Ice hockey, as depicted here, is most popular in Canada, the U.S., Finland, and other cold-weather countries.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
No one knows exactly where the word "hockey" came from. One guess is that it is derived from a French word for a shepherd's staff. This staff is crooked at the end, similar to the hockey stick.
Another guess is that it may have been played with cork stoppers from barrels of an ale called "hock" or "hocky."
Did you know? Games similar to hockey - those played by striking a ball with a curved stick - have been around since ancient times.
In fact, carvings that look very similar to modern hockey have been found in Egypt and Greece, dated to 2,000 and 600 B.C., respectively.
Other hockey-like games have been played in Ireland and Mongolia for a thousand years.
Would you like to draw a hockey player? Now you can, with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Watch 'How to Draw a Hockey Player' Video Tutorial
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Hockey Player
How to Draw a Great Looking Hockey Player for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing two curved lines to outline the hockey player's chin and ear.
Easy Hockey Player Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a curved line to connect the ear to the opposite side of the face. Continue the line across the top of the face to fully enclose the irregular shape of the hockey helmet. Draw curved lines across the helmet to detail its contours. Then, use a curved line to enclose the rectangular shape of the face mask.
Easy Hockey Player Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a curved line below the ear and chin. Then, draw two long curved lines to form the arm. Connect them at the end, and use shorter curved lines to detail the curves of the garment at the wrist and elbow.
Easy Hockey Player Drawing - Step 4
4. Outline the hockey player's back and torso using curved lines.
Easy Hockey Player Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of curved lines to outline the hockey player's opposite arm and glove. Then, use short curved lines to detail the folds in the fabric.
Easy Hockey Player Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a series of curved lines to outline the hockey player's glove. Notice the overlapping lines that form the thumb and fingers.
Easy Hockey Player Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend a set of straight, parallel lines from one glove to the other. Allow the lines to extend past the lower glove, erasing guide lines as necessary. Use a curved line to enclose a rounded rectangular shape at the bottom, fully enclosing the hockey stick.
Add More Details to Your Hockey Player Picture - Step 8
8. Use a series of curved lines to outline the hockey player's pants, legs, socks, and the tops of his ice skates. Notice how the pants and socks are wider than other parts of the leg. Also note the details of the uniform, such as the banding between the pants and socks, and the sole and tongue of the shoes.
Complete the Outline of Your Hockey Player Drawing - Step 9
9. Add the finishing details to your hockey player. Use curved lines to create the blades on the bottom of his skates. Use curved lines to detail the jersey, and draw his face deep in concentration. Finally, draw a small oval in front of his hockey stick and band it to create the hockey puck.
Color Your Hockey Player Drawing
Color your hockey player to match the colors of your favorite team.
You'll find plenty of other athletes to draw among our selection of people drawing guides.
For more great People drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy People Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Hockey Player Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).