Learn how to draw a great looking Jack O'Lantern with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Jack O'Lantern.
Would you like to draw a scary jack o'lantern? You can use this easy, step-by-step Jack o'lantern drawing tutorial to learn how.
A jack o'lantern is a pumpkin carved into the shape of a face with a light inside. It is a traditional Halloween decoration.
The basic shape of the jack o'lantern is round and ridged like an ordinary pumpkin. You can learn how to draw a pumpkin here.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The face of the jack o'lantern is composed of teardrop-shaped eyes and triangular teeth. Extra lines give these elements a three-dimensional appearance.
If you enjoyed this drawing guide, try your hand at drawing this jack o'lantern with a kitten inside.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Jack O'Lantern
How to Draw a Great Looking Jack O'Lantern for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon jack o'lantern outline by drawing the eyes. Draw two teardrop shapes, one more narrow than the other. Notch the shapes with triangular "V" shaped lines. Then, enclose another parallel shape within each to give it a three-dimensional appearance.
Easy Jack O'Lantern Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, begin the mouth. Draw two long, roughly parallel lines that meet at sharp points on each end. Draw a small triangle in the middle of the lines, erasing as necessary.
Easy Jack O'Lantern Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw another long curved line from one corner of the mouth to the other. This forms the pumpkin's lower lip.
Easy Jack O'Lantern Drawing - Step 4
4. Use "V" shaped lines to enclose triangular teeth of various sizes along the top of the mouth. Notice that the teeth in the center are the largest, while those near the corners of the mouth are smaller.
Easy Jack O'Lantern Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw more triangle-shaped teeth along the bottom of the mouth.
Easy Jack O'Lantern Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw "L" shaped lines from the tips of the teeth to the sides of those beside them. This gives the teeth a 3D appearance.
Easy Jack O'Lantern Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a large oval passing behind the eyes and mouth. This begins the outline of the gourd itself.
Add More Details to Your Jack O'Lantern Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved lines to enclose two more rounded shapes, one on each side of the oval.
Complete the Outline of Your Jack O'Lantern Drawing - Step 9
9. Use a series of curved lines to enclose a leaf on top of the pumpkin, complete with a "V" shaped notch and a central vein. Beside it, enclose the curved rectangular stem. Texture the stem with curved lines. Finally, use two overlapping and parallel spiral lines to draw a sprig of pumpkin vine coming from the stem.
Allow the lines to culminate in a sharp point.
Color Your Jack O'Lantern Drawing
Your cartoon jack o'lantern outline is now complete. Color it. Most pumpkins are orange or white in color.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Jack O'Lantern Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).