Learn how to draw a great looking Lantern with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Lantern.
A lantern is a device that has been around for millennia. The term lantern describes any case used to contain a lamp, thereby protecting the lamp from the elements.
Ancient lanterns have been discovered in Pompeii and Herculaneum. Many lanterns were made of metal, but in Asia, paper was a common material. A candle or oil lamp was placed inside. Today, most lanterns house, not a flame, but a light bulb or LED.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Lanterns have also left their mark on popular culture. For example, the emblem of the DC Comics' Lantern Corps is a green lantern. Floating paper lanterns have made their way into Disney films such as Mulan (1998) and Tangled (2010).
Would you like to draw a lantern? This easy, step-by-step drawing guide is here to show you how. All you will need is a sheet of paper, a pencil, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Lantern
How to Draw a Great Looking Lantern for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an irregular shape. Draw two horizontal straight lines, and connect them using curved lines. The resulting shape should resemble a teardrop with a flat, rather than pointed, top. This forms the glass globe of the lantern.
Easy Lantern Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a very narrow shape with rounded ends directly above the globe. To do so, draw a horizontal line parallel to the top of the globe and connect it using short curved lines. Draw a rectangle above this to form the base of the lantern's ventilator.
Easy Lantern Drawing - Step 3
3. Enclose a narrow oval just above the rectangle. Above this, draw a rectangle with a curved top. Band this shape with a curved line. Draw a small square atop the rounded rectangle, and a compressed bell shape above the square. Then, draw curved lines from the bell to the rectangle. Band this with diagonal lines.
Easy Lantern Drawing - Step 4
4. Next, begin the lantern base. Beneath the globe, enclose a flattened oval. Draw an irregular rounded shape beneath this, and band it with a curved line.
Easy Lantern Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend two curved lines from the rounded shape. Connect them using a long curved line. Then, draw short lines extending from the tips of this shape. Connect these lines with another curved line, extending the lantern base.
Easy Lantern Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw lines descending from each side of the lantern base. Connect them with a long curved line, and band the shape with another curved line. This completes the lantern base.
Easy Lantern Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a long curved line extending from the lantern base to the ventilator on each side. Then, draw a shorter line parallel to the first on each side. These are referred to as the boil. Texture each boil with curved lines of different lengths.
Add More Details to Your Lantern Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the handle. Extend a long curved line from the boil, up and over the top of the lantern. Connect it to the boil on the opposite side. Notice the small bulge at the top of the handle. Then, draw another line parallel to the first to enclose the handle.
Complete the Outline of Your Lantern Drawing - Step 9
9. It is time to light the fire. Enclose a curved shape at the bottom of the globe, and band it with a curved line. This is the burner. Draw a teardrop shape above this to indicate the flame. Detail both the flame and the edges of the globe using curved lines. Finally, extend a small rectangle from the back of the lantern, and draw a star shape at the end. Erase guide lines as necessary. This is the control knob used to manage the length of the wick, and therefore the height of the flame.
Color Your Lantern Drawing
Color you lantern.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Simple Things to draw Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Lantern Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).