Learn how to draw a great looking Mecha with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Mecha.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
In Japanese, the term mecha refers to a giant robot or machine that is controlled by humans. You can learn how to draw a mecha, design it, and color it to make it all your own.
"Mecha" is an abbreviation for the word "mechanical." Mechas are usually humanoid in shape but sometimes resemble animals instead.
Did you know? The term isn't limited to science fiction. It can also be used to describe real inventions by modern-day scientists.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Stories about mechas date back to the literature of the 1800s.
Some of the most famous mechas in fiction are the Gundam. Gundam are mobile suits that allow their occupants to enter outer space, fight one another, and use powerful weapons.
Similar fighting suits include the Knightmare Frames of the anime Code Geass, the Amplified Mobility Platforms (AMPS) used by the humans in the film Avatar, or the robots that face down the Kaiju in Pacific Rim.
Will your mecha represent the forces of good or evil? Will he succeed?
Get your paper and pencil ready, for the choice is yours.
Learn more about How to Draw a Chibi SD Gundam or How to Draw an Anime Vampire Girl.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Mecha
How to Draw a Great Looking Mecha for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the robot's head. Use a curved line to draw an inverted teardrop shape. Then, extend horizontal curved lines from its top and bottom. Connect these with a curved line. Next, draw a curved line and a "V" shaped line across the front of the face, outlining the "eyes."
Easy Mecha Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue to detail the head. Draw an irregular rounded shape overlapping the side of the head. Extend a pair of curved lines upward from the shape, and allow them to meet at a sharp point.
Draw a similar triangular horn emerging from the opposite side of the head. Then, use a series of straight lines to enclose a quadrilateral shape at the front of the face.
Easy Mecha Drawing - Step 3
3. Outline the shoulders. Use curved lines to enclose the irregular rounded shapes and connect them to the back of the head. Draw a curved line across each shoulder.
Easy Mecha Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the robot's arm. Use a series of curved lines to enclose each cylinder shape, one for the upper arm and one for the lower. Draw a curved line across the upper arm.
Draw a series of successively smaller ovals at the tip of the lower arm. Then, draw triangular shapes emerging from the sides of the cylinder. On its side, double a curved line back upon itself and cross it with additional curved lines.
Easy Mecha Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the torso. Double curved lines back upon themselves to form the belly. Connect the top of the belly to the base of the head using three curved lines.
Easy Mecha Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the robot's hips using a series of curved lines. Then, use two curved lines to begin the upper leg.
Easy Mecha Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the lower leg and foot. At the knee, draw a small diamond shape and cross it with a vertical curved line. Then use curved lines to enclose the wide lower leg and foot.
Add More Details to Your Mecha Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining leg. First, outline the bottom of the foot using a large teardrop shape. Then, enclose the top of the foot, the lower leg, and the upper leg using a series of curved lines. Finally, draw a diamond at the knee and cross it with a curved line.
Complete the Outline of Your Mecha Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the remaining arm, partially hidden by the raised leg. Use curved lines to enclose each of the cylinder-like shapes.
Color Your Mecha Drawing
Color your cartoon mecha. In anime and manga, fighting robots such as these are often adorned in vibrant colors.
For more great Cartoons drawing tutorials, see How to Draw a Sexy Anime Girl, How to Draw a Sitting Anime Girl, and 51 Step-by-Step Cartoons Drawing Guides.
For even more, learn how to draw anime body and other features.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Mecha Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).