Learn how to draw a great looking Mother Hugging a Daughter with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Mother Hugging a Daughter.
Mothers and daughters are known to share a special bond. Even common words for "mother" reflect this.
Throughout the world, words that sound similar to "mother" are used - mom, mommy, mum, mommy, ma, mama, mammy, a'ma, eomma, mamam, among others.
The mother plays a vital role in human society. Not only does she bear children, but in most cultures she is the most integral figure in child rearing.
Mothers typically care for the physical and emotional needs of infants and young children. This allows a deep social bond to form between the mother and child.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Mothers, together with their children, have been popular subjects of paintings, sculpture, and other artwork since time immemorial.
In France, especially, the role of the mother was romanticized in art. Many ancient religions worshiped the the mother figure as a goddess, the giver of life.
Would you like to draw a mother and daughter? Doing so is easy with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
You will need only a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Mother and Daughter
How to Draw a Great Looking Mother Hugging a Daughter for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the mother's face. Begin with a long, curved line, forming an open oval. Outline the face and hairline using a series of curved lines. Extend curved lines beneath the face to outline the neck. Draw the neck of the garment using a pair of parallel curved lines. Enclose the hair using several overlapping curved lines to indicate a braid.
Easy Mother Hugging a Daughter Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the daughter's head. Begin with an oval shape. Use curved lines to outline the hairline and ear. Enclose a small, rounded shape on top of the head to indicate a hair tie. Then, use a long and short curved line to enclose the ponytail. Allow the lines to meet in a sharp point.
Easy Mother Hugging a Daughter Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a pair of long, curved lines extending from the shoulder, and connect them at the end using a short line, forming the sleeve. Detail the folds of the garment using curved lines at the elbow and across the chest. Then, sketch the hand. Use long, narrow "U" shaped lines to form each finger.
Easy Mother Hugging a Daughter Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the girl's sleeve, again using long, curved lines. Sketch her hand using overlapping curved lines. Enclose a small triangle beneath the ear to indicate the girl's neck.
Easy Mother Hugging a Daughter Drawing - Step 5
5. Use long, curved lines to outline the shape of the girl's dress. Notice how it narrows at the hip before extending outward to form the skirt.
Easy Mother Hugging a Daughter Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend two sets of curved lines downward from the dress. These form the girl's legs. At the bottom, allow the lines to diverge from one another. Then, connect them using a shorter curved line to enclose the feet. Draw another short, curved line across the narrow ankles to indicate the top of the shoes.
Easy Mother Hugging a Daughter Drawing - Step 7
7. Use long, curved lines to outline the mother's skirt.
Add More Details to Your Mother Hugging a Daughter Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the mother's other hand on the girl's back, erasing guide lines as necessary. Use overlapping "U" shaped lines to form each finger.
Complete the Outline of Your Mother Hugging a Daughter Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the faces of the mother and daughter. Use small circles for eyes, and short, curved lines to indicate eyebrows, noses, smiling mouths, and eyes that are happily closed.
Color Your Mother Hugging a Daughter Drawing
10. Color the mother and daughter. What is your mom's favorite color?
Would you like to add other members of your family to the picture? Check out our people drawing guides to learn how. You can even include the family pet! You'll find pets of all shapes and sizes among our selection of animal drawing guides.
For more great People drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy and Fun People Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Mother Hugging a Daughter Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).