Learn how to draw a great looking Pencil with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Pencil.
Have you ever tried to draw the thing you are drawing with? Now you can! Check out this easy, step-by-step pencil drawing tutorial.
This pencil drawing is highly realistic. It shows a sharpened pencil with a triangular point and straight, parallel lines forming the faceted sides. There is even a number on it, marking it as the ideal No. 2 pencil!
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Here is an interesting thought: you can use real graphite - the "lead" in your pencil - to shade the pencil lead in your picture. Talk about an accurate drawing!
You can turn your pencil into a cartoon character, too. Check out this cute pencil drawing guide to see how.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Pencil
How to Draw a Great Looking Pencil for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the pencil outline by drawing a straight diagonal line. This will form one side of the pencil.
Easy Pencil Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw another straight diagonal line, nearly parallel to the first. Notice that the lines converge slightly on the far end. This adds to the realistic perspective of the drawing.
Easy Pencil Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a straight line from each of the existing lines. These new lines should meet at a point, forming the triangular sharpened end of the pencil.
Easy Pencil Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a series of curved lines that meet at points across the pencil where its shaft and the sharpened portion meet. This is the jagged junction of the sharpened wood and paint. Connect the straight lines on the opposite end using a curved line.
Easy Pencil Drawing - Step 5
5. From the points of the sharpened area, extend two straight lines down the length of the pencil. This contours its faceted sides.
Easy Pencil Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a curved line across the tip of the pencil to distinguish the lead tip.
Easy Pencil Drawing - Step 7
7. Next, draw the ferrule, the metal band that holds the eraser on the pencil. Use curved lines to enclose a curved rectangle shape on the far end of the implement.
Add More Details to Your Pencil Picture - Step 8
8. Draw two curved lines across the ferrule and shape between them. Then, use a curved line to enclose the rounded shape of the eraser on top.
Complete the Outline of Your Pencil Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw an inverted number "2" on one side of the pencil. This indicates the hardness of the lead. No. 2 pencils like this have lead that is "very soft and black."
Color Your Pencil Drawing
Your pencil outline is now complete. We've shaded ours yellow with a pink eraser in classic style. If you make the metal band holding the eraser green, you will have a picture of the famous Dixon Ticonderoga brand pencil.
For more great cute & easy drawing tutorials, see the collection of Cute & Easy Drawing Ideas..
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Pencil Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).