Learn how to draw a great looking Racecar with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Racecar.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"Francesco always-a wins. It's-a boring."
— Francesco Bernoulli, Cars 2
Indy cars are a special type of racecar. The cars are open-wheeled and single-seated, similar to Formula One cars. Races may be held on circular tracks, streets, or off-road.
Sometimes, these race cars even become characters in themselves. One example is the Italian race car Francesco in Disney's Cars 2.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? The word racecar is a palindrome. What does that mean? It is one of only a few words that is spelled exactly the same backward and forwards.
Would you like to draw a cartoon racecar? This easy, step-by-step cartoon vehicle drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished car.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Truck, Lamborghini, and Motorcycle.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Racecar
How to Draw a Great Looking Racecar for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the arrow-like shape of the car's body. Use overlapping lines. One side should resemble a rounded triangle, the other an elongate shape. These outline the chassis and the center spine respectively.
Easy Racecar Drawing - Step 2
2. Detail the car body, giving it a three-dimensional appearance. Draw curved lines along the sides, roughly parallel to the outer edge. At the base of the triangle, shade a parallelogram on each side. Draw a short line upward from the near corner. Finally, shade a large rounded shape in the center of the triangle. This forms the driver's compartment.
Easy Racecar Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the front wing of the car. Extend curved lines from the center spine, and draw a wide "V" shaped line just beyond the spine. On one end, use three straight lines to enclose a partial parallelogram, connect the curved and "V" shaped lines. On the opposite side, connect these lines by drawing a parallelogram. Draw a curved line across each wingtip, and from the center spine to each wingtip.
Did you know? "The front wing works in conjunction with the rear wing to create aerodynamic downforce and balance between the front and the rear of the car."
Easy Racecar Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the wheel, erasing as necessary. Draw two straight lines, and connect them with curved lines. This forms the tire. Draw a curved line across it, and draw a circle within a circle to form the wheel. Draw straight lines for spokes between the two circles. Draw pairs of straight lines from the tire to the center spine. Connect each pair with a short curved line. This forms the suspension system.
Easy Racecar Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the remaining front wheel. Enclose the tire using a pair of straight lines connected by curved lines. Draw a curved line across the top, and enclose a partial circle on the side. From the circle, draw pairs of straight lines to the car body.
Easy Racecar Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw curved lines at the back of the car to enclose irregular shapes. At the tip of the chassis, Use straight lines to enclose a triangle within a triangle. This forms the rear suspension.
Easy Racecar Drawing - Step 7
7. Enclose the rear tires using straight and curved lines. Draw a curved line across the top of each, and enclose a circle on the side. On the near wheel, draw a circle within the circle, and short straight lines between them.
Add More Details to Your Racecar Picture - Step 8
8. Use straight and curved lines to enclose the boxlike shapes of the rear wing and its sides.
Complete the Outline of Your Racecar Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the driver's helmet, erasing as necessary. Enclose an egg shape, then use curved lines to draw the visor. Then, use curved lines to sketch the irregular shape of the roll hoop. Shade a rounded triangle on its front.
Color Your Racecar Drawing
Color your cartoon indy car. These race cars are often bright yellow, red, blue, or other colors.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Easy Things to draw Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Racecar Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).