Learn how to draw a great looking Treasure Chest with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Treasure Chest.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum."
- "Dead Man's Chest," fictional sea song from Treasure Island
Buried treasure is a large part of the mythology of pirates and other outlaws. Popular belief holds that these individuals buried their riches in a remote place, where even they needed a treasure map in order to find it. The idiom "X marks the spot" is derived from this idea.
Historically, the only pirate known to bury his treasure was William Kidd. His fortune was believed to be hidden near Long Island, New York, USA.
He was later hanged for his crimes. More often than not, chests such as the one in this drawing guide were used for safely storing linens, clothing, or other items within the home or while traveling.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Many books, comics, and movies promoted the legends of buried treasure chests. Perhaps the most famous is Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, published in 1883.
One expert stated, "The effect of Treasure Island on our perception of pirates cannot be overestimated," and asserted that buried treasure "is an entirely fictional device." Regardless, Treasure Island has been performed and spoofed many times. One futuristic version is the animated film Treasure Planet (2002).
Arg! Would you like to draw a chest of cartoon treasures? This easy, step-by-step cartoon object drawing guide is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Pirate Ship, Beach, and Boat.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Treasure Chest
How to Draw a Great Looking Treasure Chest for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a rectangular cube. Use straight lines to draw three connected rectangular shapes.
Easy Treasure Chest Drawing - Step 2
2. Erase part of the bottom sections of the cube. In each opening, draw two curved lines that meet at a point, filling the gap. This forms a decorative base of the chest as well as its feet.
Easy Treasure Chest Drawing - Step 3
3. Embellish the chest by drawing a rectangular shape within the front and side panels.
Easy Treasure Chest Drawing - Step 4
4. Give the inset rectangles the appearance of wooden planks by drawing parallel, horizontal lines across them. Then, draw a handle on the side panel. Begin by drawing two incomplete circles. Draw two curved lines to connect the circles, forming the handles.
Easy Treasure Chest Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a lock on the front of the treasure chest, erasing as necessary. First, draw a four-sided shape. The top and sides of the shape should be made of straight lines, while the bottom of the shape should be a curved line. Give the straight sides a three-dimensional appearance by drawing a straight line parallel to the side of the shape, connected at the corners by short lines.
Easy Treasure Chest Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase the top of the cube to make way for the curved top of the chest. Draw a half-circle atop the side of the chest, and a quarter-circle at the other end. Connect the two with a straight line.
Easy Treasure Chest Drawing - Step 7
7. Embellish the lid of the chest. Draw a second half-circle within the original half-circle. Then, enclose two rectangular shapes across the top of the lid.
Add More Details to Your Treasure Chest Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the latch of the lock, erasing as necessary. First, enclose a four-sided shape with curved top and bottom on the lid of the chest. Enclose a shape using a "U" shaped line beneath it. Draw three small circles within the upper shape and a rectangular shape within the lower shape.
Complete the Outline of Your Treasure Chest Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw small circles near the edges of the chest. These represent the nails or bolts that hold the chest together.
Color Your Treasure Chest Drawing
Check out our other cartoon drawing guides and learn to draw a beach, a pirate ship, and more.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Treasure Chest Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).