Learn how to draw a great looking Eyeball with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Eyeball.
"The Eyes are the window to your soul."
- English proverb, often attributed to William Shakespeare
The eye is a truly amazing part of the body. According to biochemist Michael Behe, more than a dozen chemical reactions must take place in the eye in order for you to see just one photon of light.
In addition to providing vision, the eyes are used in nonverbal communication in the form of facial expressions.
Some researchers suggest that a trained person can distinguish when a person is lying by watching the eyes. Eyes can also indicate whether a person is happy, sad, angry, or frightened.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In popular culture, the eye is used in many ways. This is illustrated by common phrases such as "eagle eyed," meaning visually acute; "keep your eye on [someone]," meaning to watch their behavior; "stink eye," meaning to glare menacingly; and "to eyeball it," or estimate a measurement.
Eyes open wide, such as the one in this tutorial, are often representative of fear and are used in decorations for the Halloween season.
Would you like to draw an eye? This simple, step by step drawing guide is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
You may also wish to use crayons, markers, colored pencils, or something else to shade the iris of the eye. What eye color will you choose? Yours, or someone else's?.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing an Eyeball
How to Draw a Great Looking Eyeball for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will form the iris, the colorful ring within the eye.
Easy Eyeball Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a smaller circle within the first. This forms the pupil, the dark portion in the middle of the eye.
Easy Eyeball Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a small oval. It should be placed within the larger circle and overlapping the smaller circle. This forms a shine, or reflection of light, on the eye.
Easy Eyeball Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase guide lines from within the shine.
Easy Eyeball Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw another small oval within the circle, smaller than and opposite the first. This forms an additional eye shine.
Easy Eyeball Drawing - Step 6
6. Near the smaller oval, draw a tiny circle. This forms yet another reflection of light upon the eye.
Easy Eyeball Drawing - Step 7
7. Shade the pupil.
Add More Details to Your Eyeball Picture - Step 8
8. Surround the figure with a large circle, leaving plenty of space between this circle and the iris. This outlines the entire eyeball.
Complete the Outline of Your Eyeball Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the eye. Within the iris, extending outward from the pupil, lightly draw straight lines of various lengths. This adds the natural texture of color variation to the iris. Along the edges of the eye, extending inward from the outer circle, draw curved lines of various lengths. Allow additional curved lines to branch from these. This forms the blood vessels of the eye, and illustrates what it means for an eye to be "bloodshot."
Color Your Eyeball Drawing
10. Color the eye. How may an eye be shaded? The iris of the human eye comes in a variety of colors, including light and dark blue; green; hazel, a combination of brown and green; grey; brown, which can range from light brown to nearly black; or amber, a brownish honey color. The actress Elizabeth Taylor was even said to have violet, or purple eyes. The iris of those with albinism may appear red in color. Why? Because so little pigment is present that the blood vessels are visible.
The sclera is typically white, but can be yellowish, especially in those with certain medical conditions. When eyes are bloodshot, the vessels appear bright red.
Don't stop with just an eye - check out our people drawing tutorials to learn to draw features such as noses, mouths, hair, and ears, as well as entire characters!
For more great Body drawing tutorials, see the 37 Body Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Eyeball Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).