Learn how to draw a great looking Ear with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Ear drawing.
"Can you hear me now? Good!" During the early decades of the cellular telephone, that was the motto of the Verizon phone company's spokesperson.
We are reminded of the simple yet extremely important role of the ear.
We use our ears to hear, allowing us to learn about our environment, be alert to dangers, and form meaningful relationships with others.
For mammals, the ear also contains an organ essential to keeping our balance when we walk, run, or perform any other physical task.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The shape of the ear, as outlined in this tutorial, is important to the ear's function.
The folds of cartilage of the outer ear help funnel sound vibrations to the ear drum. They also help us in determining where a specific sound is coming from.
This feature can be seen in fairy tales and fantasies dating back centuries, appearing in art from ancient Greece and medieval Europe.
If you would like to draw a portrait of yourself, a friend, or anyone else, learning to draw a realistic ear is a good place to start.
Doing so is easier than ever with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
All you will need to complete your drawing of a ear is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and a good eraser.
In each step of this drawing guide, illustrations and accompanying text will aid you in adding and removing lines from your drawing. Then, you can color your finished ear picture.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing an Ear
How to Draw a Great Looking Ear for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a long, curved line, resembling a backwards letter "C." This outlines the shape of the ear.
Easy Ear Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a short, curved line along the side of the ear. This helps to shape the earlobe.
Easy Ear Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the guide line from the earlobe.
Easy Ear Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a long, curved, irregular line within the shape of the ear. This adds detail to the fold of the ear. Notice the narrow, sharp extension of the line near the bottom of the ear.
Easy Ear Drawing - Step 5
5. Connect the line drawn in the previous step to the edge of the ear using a curved, wavy line.
Easy Ear Drawing - Step 6
6. Add more detail to the ear. From the top of the interior line, draw another curved line up and over the first, somewhat parallel to the outline of the ear. This details the fold at the edge of the ear.
Easy Ear Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a curved line down the middle of the ear, near the edge. This continues to add the detail of the fold.
Add More Details to Your Ear Picture - Step 8
8. From the line drawn in Step 6, draw a short, curved line, continuing to add detailed folds to the ear.
Complete the Outline of Your Ear Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a curving, roughly "S" shaped line in the innermost portion of the ear, outlining the opening to the ear canal.
Color Your Ear Drawing
10. Color your ear, but why stop there? Check out our other drawing tutorials to learn to draw eyes, noses, lips, and hair to complete your drawing of the human face.
For more great Body drawing tutorials, see the 37 Easy to Draw Body Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Ear Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).