Learn how to draw a great looking Flaming Skull with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Flaming Skull.
The veneration of skulls by humans has a long history. Prehistoric evidence suggests that in some cultures, the skulls of deceased ancestors were cleaned and set apart for worship. Animal skulls were used in rituals meant to aid in the hunt.
In art and culture, skulls often represent death or evil. Some ancient cultures made crystal models of human skulls to represent life.
Sugar skulls are candies that are made, decorated, and eaten in celebration of the Day of the Dead, roughly equivalent to Halloween, and the Roman Catholic holiday known as All Souls' Day.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Today, skulls - especially those on fire - are used to represent rebellion, separateness, or aloofness by motorcycle clubs, heavy metal musical groups, and other cultural subsets.
Many clothing and accessory designs feature skull patterns. Flaming skulls are also common subject matter for tattoos. A number of comic book characters are also known to spontaneously combust, revealing their skull amid flaming flesh.
Would you like to draw a flaming skull? Now you can, with the help of this easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial. All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and a good eraser.
You may also wish to use crayons, colored pencils, markers, or other implements to shade your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Flaming Skull
How to Draw a Great Looking Flaming Skull for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an oval. This will form the top of the skull.
Easy Flaming Skull Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend two curved lines from the oval, bent at a right angle. This will outline the eye sockets.
Easy Flaming Skull Drawing - Step 3
3. Using three curved lines that join at approximately right angles, enclose the lower mouth portion of the skull.
Easy Flaming Skull Drawing - Step 4
4. Using curved lines, enclose elongated, curved shapes along the bottom of the skull. This will form the teeth.
Easy Flaming Skull Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase the lines at the bottom of the shapes formed in the previous step.
Easy Flaming Skull Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw two diagonal lines in the center of the skull. Draw a curved line beneath each diagonal line, enclosing a slanted semicircle shape. Shade this shape. Add detail by placing a short, curved line at the corners of each eye.
Easy Flaming Skull Drawing - Step 7
7. Beneath the eyes, draw a curved, upside down triangle. This will form the nose. Shade within the triangle, and draw a short, curved line around each of its corners.
Add More Details to Your Flaming Skull Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the flames (or hair, if you prefer) using a series of connected, curved lines that meet in rounded and jagged points.
Complete the Outline of Your Flaming Skull Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw more flames above the skull, enclosing wispy, irregular shapes using curved lines. The shapes should be pointed on both ends.
Color Your Flaming Skull Drawing
10. Color your flaming skull. Want to rock on? Combine this tutorial with an electric guitar to make heavy metal magic.
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Step-by-Step Drawing Ideas Guides post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Flaming Skull Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).