Learn how to draw a great looking Gems with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Gems.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Gems are special mineral stones that are prized because they are rare and beautiful. Since ancient times, gems have been collected and made into jewelry.
Some, such as the diamond, are valued for industrial uses due to their hardness. Diamonds may be used to cut metal or as the sharp edge of certain medical tools.
Most gems have a crystalline structure, but some, such as amber, which comes from tree resin, do not.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Because of their expense, gems are used as symbols. Gems are often associated with royalty. The gems that belong to the king and queen may be referred to as the "crown jewels."
Gems may symbolize riches or wealth. Gemstones are also associated with marriage and engagement because diamond rings are often exchanged on these occasions.
In popular culture, gems are used in video games. In some games, gems are collected by the player and are equated to points. In other games, gems are awarded to be used as a form of in-game currency.
Some games, such as Bejeweled, are centered around gemstones. Bejeweled is a tile matching puzzle game in which players match different types and colors of gemstones.
Would you like to draw some precious gemstones? This easy, step-by-step gem drawing tutorial is here to help.
All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Impossible Heart, Crystal, and Star.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Gems
How to Draw a Great Looking Gems for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a pentagon, or five-sided shape, with rounded corners. This will form the first gem. Then, draw a diamond to form the second gem.
Easy Gems Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, you'll draw a number of differently shaped gemstones. Draw a hexagon, or a six-sided shape. In the center, draw a rectangle but do not connect the corners. Instead, draw short straight lines to connect the primary lines of the shape. For the final gem, draw two straight lines like an open-ended triangle. Then, draw two shorter straight lines at an opposite diagonal from the first. Finally, connect these using a horizontal line, fully enclosing the shape.
Easy Gems Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw short lines inward from each of the corners of the pentagon. Then, connect these using slightly curved lines. This gives this gemstone a three-dimensional shape.
Easy Gems Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a curved horizontal line across the middle of the diamond. Then draw straight lines from the top and bottom corners to the central line. These lines should form two triangular shapes. These lines give the gem a three-dimensional appearance.
Easy Gems Drawing - Step 5
5. On the central gem, draw curved vertical lines between the upper and lower corners. Then, draw short straight lines from the remaining corners to the curved lines. Finally, draw straight horizontal lines to connect the curved lines. This gives the gemstone a three-dimensional appearance.
Easy Gems Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw an "X" shape in the upper, lower, and side sections of the central gem. This accentuates the cut appearance of the gemstones.
Easy Gems Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw straight lines between the upper corners and the lower point, forming a triangle shape. Then, draw a straight horizontal line between the remaining corners. Finally, use two short straight lines to enclose a triangle shape in the upper section. This gives the gemstone a three-dimensional appearance.
Add More Details to Your Gems Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a smaller hexagon shape within the existing hexagon. Then, draw short straight lines between the corners of the two hexagons. This gives the gemstone a three-dimensional appearance.
Complete the Outline of Your Gems Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw an additional straight line between each of the short straight lines, accentuating the cut of the gemstone.
Color Your Gems Drawing
Color your gems. Gemstones can come in almost any color. Common precious stones include green emeralds, red rubies, and purple amethyst.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Gems Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).