Learn how to draw a great looking Rain with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Rain.
Rain occurs when the water vapor in clouds condenses around tiny dust particles. These droplets increase in size millions of times, eventually being heavy enough for gravity to pull them towards the ground as rain.
Clouds that are heavy with rain often become dark grey or black in color. The most common type of rain and storm cloud is called a cumulonimbus cloud.
Rain is necessary for life. Plants, animals, and people all must drink water in order to survive. Without rain, rivers would cease to flow and fertile land would become a desert. As part of the water cycle, rain is a major source of fresh water.
When water evaporates from large bodies of water, even the salty sea, it leaves behind impurities that could prove harmful to drinkers. Says one country song, "Rain is a good thing!"
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Rain, of course, can be problematic as well so always remember to use an umbrella if you're heading outside when it rains. Severe rain storms may include dangerous lightning and damaging winds. When too much rain falls in an area too quickly, flooding can occur.
In other areas, erosion by rain may result in deadly mudslides. The opposite is also true - too little rain can contribute to wildfires, drought, and famines.
In popular culture, rain clouds are often used to indicate sadness or even anger. A rainy cloud hovering over a person may symbolize a bad mood or bad luck. Rain is a popular topic in music as well.
During the past century, songs such as "Purple Rain" and "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by Prince, "Rain" by the Beatles, "It's Raining Men" by the Weather Girls, and "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head" by B.J. Thomas have topped the charts.
Would you like to draw your own rain cloud? Doing so is simple with this easy, step-by-step rain drawing tutorial. All you will need is a pencil, pen, or marker, and a sheet of paper. If you have access to paints, crayons, or colored pencils, you may wish to color your finished drawing.
Notice that each step includes a detailed illustration as well as explanatory text. Look for the blue highlighted lines, as these indicate new lines to be added to your drawing. What will your rain cloud mean? Will it bring hope or sadness? The choice of yours.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Rain
How to Draw a Great Looking Rain for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a series of short, connected, curved lines, with the curve facing downward. This forms the bottom of the rain cloud.
Easy Rain Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a number of straight lines of various lengths beneath the cloud. This indicates rain streaking quickly down.
Easy Rain Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue to draw streaks of rain using short, straight lines of various lengths.
Easy Rain Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw more streaks of rain, again using straight lines of different lengths.
Easy Rain Drawing - Step 5
5. Amid the streaking rain, draw some classic raindrops. For each raindrop, enclose a shape using a curved line. The raindrop should have a point on the top and a rounded bottom.
Easy Rain Drawing - Step 6
6. Continue to draw additional raindrops.
Easy Rain Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw more raindrops between the short, straight lines.
Add More Details to Your Rain Picture - Step 8
8. Draw more raindrops.
Complete the Outline of Your Rain Drawing - Step 9
9. Continue to fill out your drawing with additional raindrops and straight lines of streaking rain.
Color Your Rain Drawing
10. Color your rain cloud. Storm clouds are often black or grey, or even green. Rain can fall from fluffy white clouds as well. At sunset, clouds may appear pink, red, orange, or purple. Check out our other drawing tutorials to learn to complete your rainy landscape.
For more great Thanksgiving and Fall drawing tutorials, see the 27 Best Thanksgiving and Fall Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rain Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).