Learn how to draw a great looking Sushi with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Sushi.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Sushi has been described as "seasoned rice that is shaped," or as rice, meat, and vegetables rolled in a sheet of dried seaweed. The presentation of the dish - how it looks - is considered to be very important.
Sushi is symbolic of Japan - it is a staple rice dish there - but it is made in other regions as well. Some anime and manga - Japanese cartoons and comics - contain characters based on sushi.
Does all sushi contain raw fish? No, it does not. Many contain vegetables and cream cheese, and others are topped with a sweet egg omelet. Some contain cooked seafood, or are battered and fried.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Sushi is often served with sliced ginger root and a green paste called wasabi. However, "real" wasabi is seldom found outside of Japan; horseradish and mustard are used to mimic the flavor. Why? Wasabi is a temperamental plant that is difficult to grow - it likes cool temperatures, full shade, and flowing streams. It is therefore expensive since it does not conform to commercial planting methods.
Would you like to draw a delicious meal of sushi? This easy, step-by-step food drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Burger, Burrito, and Popcorn.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Sushi
How to Draw a Great Looking Sushi for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the table. First, draw a rectangle, tilted diagonally. Extend short lines downward from three of the rectangle's points. Connect these using long straight lines. Then, draw two small squares just beyond the edge of the rectangle. Connect the upper corners of the squares to the rectangle using short straight lines.
Easy Sushi Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the nigiri sushi, seafood on top of rice. Outline an irregular rounded shape, and band it with a curved line. Texture the lower rice portion with short lines and dots, the upper portion with wavy lines. Outline a small irregular shape at one end, and draw a line down its middle.
Easy Sushi Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw another sushi. This one is topped with tamago, a type of sweet egg omelet, and wrapped in nori, or seaweed. Draw an irregular oval shape, and band it with a curved line. Then, draw two parallel curved lines across the middle, and texture this with small dots.
Easy Sushi Drawing - Step 4
4. Up next are maki, or traditional sushi rolls wrapped in seaweed. First, draw two ovals. Then, draw curved lines descending from each end of the ovals. Connect these using curved lines, and texture the seaweed with vertical lines.
Easy Sushi Drawing - Step 5
5. Detail what's inside your sushi rolls. Draw irregular shapes and curved lines to indicate the fish, vegetables, and rice.
Easy Sushi Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw another maki roll topped with roe, or fish eggs. Use small "U" shaped lines to enclose a rounded shape, then draw more "U" shaped lines inside the shape. Draw three lines descending from the roe, and connect them using a curved line.
Easy Sushi Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw another sushi. Begin with a rounded rectangle, and draw an irregular shape inside it. Draw a line descending from each corner, and connect these with curved lines. Texture the seaweed with short lines.
Add More Details to Your Sushi Picture - Step 8
8. Texture the tamago with curved lines, and draw a chopstick beside the table. Use two long straight lines, connected at a rounded point on each end. Notice that one point is sharper than the other.
Complete the Outline of Your Sushi Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a second chopstick overlapping the first, erasing guide lines as necessary.
Color Your Sushi Drawing
Color your sushi.
For more great Food drawing tutorials, see the 51 Simple Food Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Sushi Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).