Learn how to draw a great looking Haku Dragon from Spirited Away with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Haku Dragon from Spirited Away.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Haku is the main protagonist in the film Spirited Away. You can learn how to draw the Haku dragon with the help of this easy anime drawing tutorial.
Haku's human form is that of a 12-year-old boy with green eyes. He aids the young Chihiro in navigating the spirit world after her parents are turned into pigs.
He is trapped in this world because he forgot his real name. He can turn into a powerful flying dragon, as pictured in this drawing guide.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Haku's dragon form is similar to the classic Chinese and Japanese dragons.
This makes sense, as Studio Ghibli films often draw on folklore and mythology. The popular character Totoro, for example, is based on the folklore of forest spirits.
Learn more about How to Draw an Easy Chinese Dragon, How to Draw a Japanese Dragon, and How to Draw Totoro.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing the Haku Dragon from Spirited Away
How to Draw a Great Looking Haku Dragon from Spirited Away for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the dragon’s face. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to draw the brow, muzzle, mouth, and lower jaw. Draw a zigzag line across the back of the head and small triangles for the nose and eye. Detail the snout with a curved line, and shade a dot within the eye to indicate the pupil.
Easy Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Drawing - Step 2
2. Use pairs of curved lines that meet at points to outline the ear and horns. Detail the ear with a curved line across it. Use a wavy curved line for the hairy mane between the horns. Extend two long curved lines from the base of the head to outline the long, sinuous neck.
Easy Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw two curved lines from the base of the head to the base of the neck. This indicates the dragon’s underbelly. Continue the jagged line of the mane down the back of the neck, eventually connecting to it. Next, use overlapping curved lines to begin tracing the dragon’s shoulders.
Easy Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Drawing - Step 4
4. Band the underside of the neck with curved lines, giving it the appearance of ribbed scales. Then, draw the forearms and sharp claws. Extend a pair of curved lines to form each arm. Then, use pairs of curved lines that meet at points to create the fingers and talons.
Easy Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Drawing - Step 5
5. Continue the lines of the dragon’s body, connecting to the forearm as the body passes behind it. Draw a jagged series of lines around this section of the body, continuing the mane or dorsal spines.
Easy Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Drawing - Step 6
6. Continue the lines of the body between and beyond the forearms. Then, allow them to meet at a point. From the dorsal spine, extend a long curved line. From the point where the lines of the body meet, extend the jagged line of the dorsal spine.
Allow it to meet the remaining curved line at a sharp point. Then, extend another curved line from the upper portion of the dorsal spine. Draw a curved line from the shoulder to the body, and band the shape with curved lines.
Easy Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Drawing - Step 7
7. Begin sketching the haunches and rear legs. Use a curved line for each hip. Use “L” shaped lines for one leg. For both feet, use pairs of curved lines to outline the “V” shaped toes. Allow the lines to meet at a sharp point, outlining the talons.
Add More Details to Your Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a pair of curved lines to complete the tail. After it passes behind the foot, allow the lines to meet at a sharp point.
Complete the Outline of Your Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a tuft at the tip of the tail. Use a series of curved lines that meet at gentle points to enclose the leaflike shape. Then extend long, curved lines from each side of the snout, forming the dragon’s whiskers.
Color Your Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Drawing
Color your cartoon of the Haku dragon. It is white with a green mane.
For more great Dragon drawing tutorials, see the 50 Simple Dragon Drawing Ideas post.
Looking for more manga and anime drawings? See these easy drawing guides.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Haku Dragon from Spirited Away Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).